Biola comes to a standstill against Stanton

Biola and Stanton tie 1-1.
Biola+mens+soccer+huddles+up.+
Courtesy of Biola Athletics
Biola men’s soccer huddles up.

Biola men’s soccer (1-4-2) tied against the Stanton Elks (0-1-1) 1-1 on Wednesday night.

Within the first five minutes, Stanton set up a goal as the ball was cleared from midfield. Biola goalie Nicholas Daniel stepped up to the edge of the box and prevented an early score. After a yellow card, Biola moved the ball downfield and midfielder Andrew Darke got a good shot at the goal but it was wide left.

Both teams passed well within their side of the field but their defenses stopped many opportunities for scoring. Within twenty minutes, Stanton was called for offsides. Biola midfielder Caleb Castaño had a good look at the goal, but the Elk’s back line was stout and kept the game scoreless.

The game intensified when Stanton player Joao Mederios pushed Castaño for stepping over his teammate so he was given a yellow card for the misconduct. Biola’s Pedro Ashley broke away from the goal but his shot went out to the right of the post. The first half ended but not before Biola’s Adrian Acevedo took aim in the middle of the net but goalie Jafar Chehade came up with the save.

Early in the second half following multiple fouls, Vitor Malaquias floated a kick over the head of Daniel for the first goal of the game. Stanton gained a 1-0 lead. Minutes later, Travis Coombs was fouled which set up a penalty kick. Coombs delivered on the kick and tied the game at 1-1.  

Coming off a corner kick, Biola’s Nathan Kovalick aimed with his head but Chehade saved it. A yellow card got handed out to defender Benjamin Freitas near the last ten minutes and Darke received a free kick but the ball went over the net.

Off another corner kick, Biola’s Castaño had a high shot to the corner of the net but it was blocked. Darke had an even closer shot but it was saved yet again by Chehade who finished the game with four saves. 

Defender Filippo Barbieri was set up for a good shot, but Daniel recorded his second save and the game ended in a draw, 1-1.