Biola’s Martial Arts Club

Learning lessons through martial arts.
Courtesy of Unsplash

If you are interested in getting active and learning some self-defense, check out the Martial Arts Club, run by senior psychology major Joy Phillipps.

A LOVE FOR THE ART

Phillipps started the club in Fall 2023. As president and founder of the club, she is in charge of leading all the meetings, which involve teaching and planning games to create a fun space for everyone. However, Phillipps’ love for martial arts began before the formation of the club.

“I joined a homeschool karate program back in fifth grade,” Phillipps said. “After the person who was teaching it graduated, he invited us to his studio and my sisters and I were the only ones that continued doing it. We just kept up with the program and my mom eventually joined too and we all got our black belts.”

Martial arts is more than a physical activity; it is an opportunity to learn important lessons. 

“Something that I love about martial arts is that it teaches you about life and how to persevere but also how to interact with others,” Phillipps said. “One of the biggest parts of martial arts is getting back up once you get knocked down, whether you’re doing take-downs, sparring or grappling. It’s going to hurt, but you just have to keep going. Life is hard. We have to keep going and take the punches as they come[…] Martial arts has taught me to keep fighting even when it hurts and to push through life’s challenges.”

BUILDING COMMUNITY

The Martial Arts Club meets every Thursday from 7:30-8:30 p.m. in Soubirou 202 and anyone is welcome. Phillipps begins the meeting with a “huddle,” providing a time for members to socialize with each other. After this, they move into a time of practice, working on things such as boxing techniques and combos, kicking, self-defense or takedowns.

“The goal of the club was for me to be able to share my love for martial arts with others while also creating a space where people can come together and engage in community,” Phillipps said. “I have loved seeing people consistently come every week and watch them share in my passion for martial arts. I hope people will be inspired to pursue the things they are passionate about and be willing to put themselves out there.”

To find out more about the Martial Arts Club, send an email to [email protected]