Remembering Alina Beary

Students gather to remember beloved professor.
Courtesy of University Marketing

Dr. Alina Beary, professor of Torrey Honors College, died Aug. 30 following a fatal pedestrian-vehicle accident. Dr. Barry Corey sent a campus-wide email to the Biola community on Aug. 31.

“This news breaks my heart,” he said in his email statement. “For some of our incoming Torrey students, Dr. Beary was a new professor who they looked forward to mentoring them. For our returning Torrey students, she was someone they grew to admire and respect.”

After receiving the devastating news, students, staff and faculty gathered around Fluor Fountain to honor Beary and grieve as a community. They mourned, prayed and sang hymns together as they reflected on her life and impact on their lives.

“Today, hundreds of Torrey students, faculty, and staff gathered together across the campus to pray, grieve and worship,” said Paul Spears, director of Torrey Honors College. “This outpouring of sorrow, love and hope bears witness to Alina’s profound influence in our community.”

That same day, students were also given time to grieve during Thursday’s Fives chapel. Mike Ahn, interim dean of Spiritual Development and campus pastor, led the community in prayer. At the end of the chapel, attendees had the chance to write down their thoughts on a piece of paper and place it on Calvary Chapel’s wall of gold. 

Beary was a professor at Biola University since the fall of 2018. She received her doctorate degree in philosophy from Baylor University but was originally from Ufa, Russia where she received her bachelor’s degree at Bashkir State University. Beary is survived by her husband of ten years and her twin daughters. 

Biola’s Pastoral Care and the Biola Counseling Center remain available resources for those struggling with this loss. Biola University will release information regarding Alina Beary’s memorial service. 

As student journalists, the Chimes staff prides themselves on making the best attempt to report with balance and objectivity. In regards to Alina Beary’s passing, we cannot remain unbiased. Beary was a beloved member of the Biola community. We will deeply miss her passion, joy and heart for service. We join Torrey Honors College and the Biola community in mourning her passing. We pray for her family, friends and students.