A fishy situation and delicious dinner

Anna Frost shares a classic family recipe that is surprisingly inexpensive and easy to make.

All photos by Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

Sometimes simplicity is exactly what we need in our chaotic lives. While food can be innovative and push boundaries, sometimes overwhelming the taste buds is too much in our already overloaded lives. Often what we need, as the middle of the semester and peak of our stress nears, is something closer to what mom used to make, or at least something without a million different ingredients and lengthy instructions.

This easy meal is inspired by meals my mom used to cook for my family. There are no bells or whistles, but it is far from plain or boring. The tartar sauce, made with homemade mayonnaise, is luxuriously creamy and more flavorful than any jarred version from the store. You won’t regret repeatedly dipping the lightly-fried cod or oven-roasted potatoes into the tartar sauce. If you desire to include a vegetable in this meal, steamed green beans or roasted asparagus will pair well with the fish, potatoes and tartar sauce.

I should also note that while fish seems like a financial luxury to us college students, Trader Joe’s has a solution. For only $3.99 per pound, you can buy frozen Alaskan Cod pieces. While they aren’t perfect filets, it is quality fish for an excellent price. I swear Trader Joe’s doesn’t pay me to plug them, they just happen to sell fabulously priced food. Basically, I am a fan of any place that allows me to buy fish without betraying my budget. Now that’s the true definition of guilt-free eating.

Pan-Fried Cod:

1-2 pieces of cod
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil

Add the oil to a large skillet and heat on medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix the parsley, salt and pepper. Rub the seasoning into the cod before placing the fish into the hot pan. Cook the cod for 4-7 minutes on each side, and check to make sure it is opaque throughout.

Roasted Parsley Potatoes:

4-5 red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1-2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 °F. Combine the olive oil and parsley and drizzle it over the cut potatoes. Toss the potatoes in the oil until coated and place on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven until tender — about 30 minutes.

Tartar Sauce:

adapted from Michael Ruhlman’s “Homemade Mayonnaise”
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon water — room temperature, not cold or hot
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk together the egg yolk, salt, water and 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice. While continuing to whisk vigorously, begin adding the oil by drizzling it into the yolk mixture a spoonful at a time. Do this slowly to ensure that the mayonnaise does not break, or separate and become soupy, which happens if too much oil is added too quickly. As the mayonnaise becomes creamy and holds its shape, whisk in the rest of the oil  — pouring it in a slow, thin stream.

If the mayonnaise breaks, slowly whisk in a teaspoon of water to bring it back together before continuing to add the oil.

When all the oil has been added and the mayonnaise is beautifully smooth, whisk in the remaining lemon juice to begin its transformation to tartar sauce. Add the dill pickle, scallion and black pepper and stir to combine, completing the transition. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use to smother unwitting fish, potatoes and vegetables with fla
vor.