Meals in a mug: fast meal solutions

Anna Frost teaches us how to make meals in the comfort of our dorm room.

Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

All photos by Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Do you often find yourself too lazy to change out of pajamas and trek to the Caf just for scrambled eggs on a weekday morning? Are you tired of paying for single servings of macaroni and powdered cheese that never seem to satisfy? Have you found yourself dreaming of chocolate cake during a late night study session and wishing you had the time to whip up a treat? Look no further than your coffee mug and microwave — meals in a mug have come to your rescue.

Stay in those cozy pajamas at 9 a.m. and enjoy scrambled eggs in your room in less than five minutes. Enjoy a fresh muffin at a moment’s notice. Whip up a mug or bowl full of macaroni and cheese for dinner that tastes more like mom’s homemade than chemicals. Forget about a long day of class or all the homework you postponed for spring break for a few minutes with a warm, gooey chocolate cake that takes less than a minute to zap. These easy meals are perfect for college students, whether you only have a few minutes before class or possess a deep-seated fear of cooking. If you are particularly swamped in studying, you won’t even have to leave your dorm hall in search of sustenance with this handy compilation of recipes on hand.

Breakfast:

Scrambled Eggs in a Mug

Note: I have noticed that microwaved eggs tend to have a stronger ‘eggy’ smell than those cooked on the stovetop. They taste fantastic, but the odor may take over your room. Apologize to your roommates in advance and wash the mug out when you are done instead of leaving it on your desk for the next couple days.

2 eggs

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons shredded cheese

1 slice deli meat, such as ham or turkey

6 spinach leaves

pinch of salt

pinch of pepper

Break the eggs into the mug and beat with a fork. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Tear or cut the deli meat into small pieces. Mix the meat, cheese and spinach into the eggs.

Microwave on high for 1 minute, take out and stir with a clean fork. Microwave again for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.

Apple-Cinnamon Muffin for One

adapted from: chocolatecoveredkatie.com’s “Blueberry Muffin for One”

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon milk

1 tablespoon sugar

3 tablespoons apple, chopped in small pieces;

Note: Use any variety of apple except Red Delicious, as they will become too mealy and mushy when heated — they are only good to eat raw

Lightly grease a mug with cooking spray or oil. Mix the the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon well in the mug. Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, milk and sugar. Combine completely, then stir in the apple.

Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool and remove from the mug.

Dinner:

Mug of Macaroni and Cheese

adapted from: babble.com’s “Instant Mug o’ Mac & Cheese in the Microwave”

1/3 cup pasta

1 cup water

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a mug or a bowl, heat the pasta and water in a microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir, then return to the microwave for another 4-5 minutes. Check the pasta. If it is not cooked through, microwave for another 2 minutes, adding another tablespoon or two of water if needed.

If it is cooked, drain any remaining water. Pour the milk into the pasta, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted. Once the cheese is added, do not heat again the macaroni in the microwave because the cheese can become rubbery.

Dessert:

One Minute Mug Chocolate Cake

adapted from: chocolatecoveredkatie.com’s “One-Minute Chocolate Cake”

1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons cocoa powder

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

2 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil

3 tablespoons milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons chocolate chips, optional

In a mug, mix together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder very well with a fork. Add the vegetable oil, milk and vanilla and stir until completely combined. If you’re feeling particularly decadent, add the chocolate chips.

Microwave on high for 30 – 40 seconds. Let cool for a minute or two before indulging.