Orange Roll sushi pleases taste buds and wallet

Have a sushi craving? Food connoisseur Anna Frost recommends Orange Roll & Sushi in Fullerton for a low-cost tasty meal.

Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Anna Frost, Writer

For the sushi to have tasted any fresher, the fish would have had to jump out of the ocean and onto my plate. Despite its location in an unimposing strip mall in Fullerton, Orange Roll & Sushi did not fail to deliver delicious sushi to my table for a low price.

I was both excited and hesitant to take a chance on this small restaurant that I stumbled upon on Yelp while searching for a place to take my sister out to dinner. All of the sushi, including “chef special rolls” which include several types of fish, is priced less than $10.

While such low prices are a beautiful sight for a broke college student with a sushi craving, it is also a potential setup for disappointing amounts of fish or a stomachache later in the day. Thankfully, this is not the case at Orange Roll. Generous portions of fish played a starring role in each of the three chef special rolls that we ordered and we did not harbor any regrets over our choice to dine there.

The “Orange” roll features salmon, avocado and cucumber on the inside and is topped with thick slices of salmon and paper thin slices of lemon. The acidity of the lemon cuts the richness of the salmon and avocado while the cucumber adds a burst of fresh flavor with a pleasant crunch. This was by far my favorite roll, while the others followed close behind.

Shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, cucumber and avocado bound tightly in rice and seaweed with tuna and avocado make up the “Sunset” roll. The sauce that tops the roll complements, but does not overpower, the flavor of the tuna. The shrimp tempura is cooked well, not in the least bit greasy. The only shortcoming is that it is marked as spicy on the menu by a red pepper, but it only had a mild kick. Our waitress asked us if it was too spicy when she checked on our table and looked surprised as we said no, as my sister applied a large amount of their potent wasabi to a piece of the “Sunset” she had just taken. It left me wondering if they knocked down the heat for us, or if the management just has a very low heat tolerance.

Like any typical caterpillar roll, the one at Orange Roll is filled with crabmeat, eel and cucumber, while the avocado on the outside lends to its name. Overall, it was well made. While I lean more towards raw fish rolls and try to stay away from crabmeat, I really enjoyed it. The crabmeat is not doused in the usual mayo-like sauce that some sushi establishments use to stretch out their supply and cut costs. The avocado was sliced thick and was fresh and creamy. In these areas, they definitely are not stingy with their ingredients. However, there did not seem to be very much eel in the roll. Though I saw it pressed into the sides of the rice by the crabmeat, I could only faintly taste it in every other piece. Since it is one of their higher-priced rolls, though still reasonable, I felt a little cheated of eel.

We began our meal with miso soup, partially because both my sister and I were too famished to wait for sushi to arrive. At $1.25 per bowl, it was an incredible value. Large pieces of seaweed floated among a hearty portion of tofu. The broth was light, but packed with the smoky flavor of miso. The small bowl, filled with about a cup of broth, is the perfect size to take the edge off of an appetite without leaving the diner too full for sushi.

Orange Roll’s menu is simple — my sister commented on the fact that some of their rolls have very similar ingredients — which can lead one to think that they lack creativity. While I would have enjoyed a wider selection of fish, I think this is one of the ways they are able to keep their prices down. As a whole, there is intentionality to their simplicity. They cater to the American preference for decked out sushi rolls, but not to the extreme. The flavors are clean and each bite is enjoyable, not intimidating. If you have ever faced monstrous pieces of sushi, doubting how to eat it in one bite, you can rest easy knowing that no such stress will be imposed at Orange Roll. For those who prefer their food cooked, Orange Roll has a large selection of teriyaki, noodle bowls and soups.

The restaurant is small — walking inside on a busy night leaves you standing awkwardly close the first row of tables — but does not feel crowded or noisy, even when completely full. A counter presides over the restaurant, acting as a takeout counter, line for the sushi chef and a waitress station. While space is tight, this does not translate to stress for the customer. It has a plain, but bright and welcoming atmosphere. This is mostly due to the wait staff, who are friendly, helpful and efficient. My sister and I arrived a little after 4 p.m. on a Saturday and found the restaurant about a third occupied. Within thirty minutes, it was almost full, but our service never suffered.

I highly recommend Orange Roll & Sushi to any college student with a love for sushi and a tight budget. The experience will satisfy your craving without breaking the bank. I plan to return to try the nigri — thick, long cuts of fish lounging across a bed of rice — that I nearly coveted as I saw it delivered to other tables.

Orange Roll & Sushi

Prices: $1.25 – $9.95; excluding the party platters, which are $29.95 – $69.95

Hours: Monday – Saturday: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday: Closed

311 N. Euclid Street, Fullerton, CA 92832

(714) 525-1387
loveorangesushi.com