The men’s soccer team keeps on winning

Goals from Contreras and Mattox lead to the Eagles’ fourth win of the season

Johnathan Burkhardt/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Junior forward Stephen Tanquary kicks the ball away from a San Diego Christian College player on Oct. 22.

Keaton Moore, Writer

Following up their first loss of the season on Sep. 5 against the Whittier College Poets, the Eagles’ men’s soccer team beat the CSU San Marcos Cougars 2-1 on Sept. 10. The win would improve the Eagle’s record to 4-1.

An Early Lead

Although the first half started off quietly for the Eagles, in the 21st minute junior forward Leonardo Contreras shot the first goal of the game. After dribbling up the field past three Cougar defenders, Contreras shot from the right corner to give the Eagles an early 1-0 lead.

The first period ended with Biola still on top, but as the second period began the Cougars tied the game. In the 53rd minute Cougar senior defender Dustin Scibilia put the pressure on the Eagles and even the match up 1-1. However it was not long before Biola lead with a shot from freshman defender Kousei Mattox in the 61st minute. The goal Mattox made was assisted by a header from junior midfielder Jarrett Pugh. The game ended with the score 2-1 and was Biola’s fourth win of the year.

Continuing Strong

The Eagles kicked a total of 11 shots, two in the first period and nine in the second. Of those 11, seven were kicked on goal. Senior midfielder John Hanscom had the most shots for the Eagles during the game with four, two of them on goal. With his goal against the Cougars, Contreras has four goals and is now tied with senior midfielder Joey O’Keefe for most goals on the team.

The Eagles' next game is against Dixie State University on Sept. 12 at 7:00 p.m. as the men’s soccer team continues on with their strong start to the season.