Biola Eagles dominates CSUDH Toros in season opener doubleheader

The baseball season begins with back-to-back victories for the Eagles.
Courtesy of Biola Athletics
Biola Baseball faces CSU Dominguez Hills.

On Feb. 3 ,the Eagles took on CSU Dominguez Hills Toros for a doubleheader, highlighting opening day for the Biola baseball 2024 season.

GAME ONE

Robert “Bobby” Brown II, starting pitcher for the Eagles, dominated the mound early in the game as he struck out the side in the first inning. At the top of the second, however, Torro’s Emilio Barrera hit a two-run home run as they took a 2-0 lead. 

In the bottom of the second, catcher Taylor Justus reached on a fielder’s choice as infielder Andrew Lujan scored. The Eagles ended the inning with the score 2-1 with the Toros in the lead. Brown continued to own the mound as he struck out the side in the top of the third. The bottom of the third was a turning point for the Eagles as first baseman Wyatt Duncan hit a 2-run, no-doubt home run to center field as the Eagles took the lead 4-2. 

The Eagles kept the slugfest alive in the bottom of the fourth. Infielder Luke Caruso led off with a single, and the team followed his lead as infielder Jonathan Kumani hit a gapper to left center to load the bases. The Eagles’ power intimidated the Torros as they attempted to end the Eagles’ slugfest by bringing in a new pitcher, Brian Kraft. The hits did not stop there, as infielder Anthony “AJ” Ortiz hit a single to center and brought home Outfielder Andrew Carillo and Caruso. Infielder James Whitman singled to left field and brought Ortiz home. The Eagles continued to build their lead 8-2. 

The Eagles’ display of power kept coming. Caruso hit a line drive to center field. Carillo reached first due to a catcher’s interference. Kumai hit a sacrifice bunt to put Caruso and Carillo in scoring positions. Ortiz hit singles to first receive an RBI as Caruso scored. On deck was Duncan, who kept the shots rolling as he hit a double down the leftfield line, earned an RBI, and brought Carillo in. The Eagles ended the inning 10-4.   

Right-handed pitcher Ryan Lachemann was brought in for the top of the sixth inning. Brown had an incredible start for the season as he struck out ten batters and only gave up four runs. As Lachemann defended the mound, he only gave up one run in the top of the sixth. In the bottom of the eighth the Eagles’ tempo would not let up as Whitman hit a bomb to center, this being the second homer for the Eagles. The Eagles remained in the lead 10-5. 

At the top of the seventh, the Eagles brought in relief pitcher Carson Cody to defend the mound. The final score of this inning was 10-5 Eagles. 

As the Eagles approached the bottom of the seventh, they kept gaining momentum. Lujan hit a 3-run moonshot home run to right field – the third home run for the Eagles, increasing his team’s lead 14-5.

In the bottom of the 8th inning, the Toros’ defense fell apart as they gave the Eagles two unearned runs The Eagles continued to take the lead 16-5. Within the three innings Cody pitched, he did not allow any runs and only gave up one hit. Biola receives the first win of the season. 

GAME 2

The Biola Eagles took the field on Feb. 3 for the season opener doubleheader. The Eagles defended their turf and stood their ground as they faced CSU Dominguez Hills Toros for the season’s second game. 

After giving up a leadoff home run in the top of the first inning, the Eagles came up to bat, trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the second inning. Infielder Luke Caruso hit an RBI single, scoring Gavin Ayers —the first run of the game for the Eagles. 

In the top of the third inning, the Eagles played great defense as second baseman Andrew Lujan flashed some leather and made an incredible diving play to his left for the first out of the inning. Toros’ Noah Karliner flipped his bat as he hit a moonshot home run deep to center field as the Toros continued to show power. Toros took the lead after the top of the third with the score 2-1.  

Despite giving up two home runs, Gilbert Lopez dominated the Toros, striking out seven over five complete innings, including Noah Karliner, who boastfully bat-flipped. 

The bottom of the fifth inning was a pivotal moment for the Eagles as first baseman Wyatt Duncan hit a 3-run homer to left field to bring the Eagles in the lead. The Eagles ended the bottom of the fifth 4-2. 

Gabe Magallan continued the Eagles’ dominance on the mound as he retired six straight and struck out the side at the top of the seventh to seal the Eagles’ victory, and get his first save of the season. 

View Comments (1)