Chaminade takes charge against Biola

Biola loses to Chaminade 3-1.
Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Biola’s women’s volleyball (14-8) took the #15 Chaminade Silverswords (25-3) to four sets on Wednesday night.

The first match went Silversword’s way from the opening point as they jumped out to an early 14-2 lead. Biola tried to even things out but could not overcome the large deficit and dropped the set 14-25. Chaminade’s senior outside hitter Greta Corti who finished with 18 kills on the night was key and set the aggressive tone early.

The second set was more back and forth with Biola taking advantage of consecutive attack errors. Freshman outside hitter Juliana Van Ommering recorded three kills early on. They led 15-12 but Chaminade responded with a kill from outside hitter Mahla Ka’apuni, and after an attack error, delivered a service ace to tie the game at 15. They would then take the lead and never give it away, finishing with a 25-21 win and taking the 2nd set.

Up against the ropes in the third set, Biola faced an 18-20 deficit when Sophie Schilling blocked Dominique Kirton’s attack. The Eagles then scored six straight to stay alive as they recorded 12 kills on 26 swings and an impressive 0.346 hitting percentage and held Chaminade to just one kill for the second half of the game.

The fourth set opened with yet another kill from Corti who would have a .233 hitting percentage on 43 kills attempted. Biola tied the match at 5-5 but never took the lead,  losing the final set 19-25.