Season ends in opening round

The Biola men’s basketball season ended in the first round of the Golden State Athletic Conference playoffs against Concordia University on March 5.

Junior Christian Misi making a play against his opponents during the game on January 29. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

The men’s basketball team played Concordia University in the first round of the Golden State Athletic Conference playoffs on March 5. Concordia ended Biola’s season after defeating them 80-54.

Concordia lept out to an early lead, scoring eight points before Biola found a basket. Senior guard Pierre Zook scored seven points and grabbed two rebounds in the first half. Biola finished the half down 18-35 thanks to a dismal 26.9 percent shooting percentage while being 1-7 behind the three point arc.

The Eagles were not able to slow down Concordia in the second half. Concordia scored 45 points coming from six three pointers on 50 percent three-point shooting. Freshman guard Sal Carlos led the team with nine points in eight minutes off of the bench. Concordia outscored the Eagles 45-36 in the second half.

Sophomore guard Dakari Archer scored a team high of 11 points. In their last game for Biola, Zook scored 10 points, followed by senior forward Mike Kurtz who scored two points and grabbed 10 rebounds.  

Biola concludes their season with a 16-15 record, the same amount of wins and losses as the previous season. Concordia will move on to play Westmont University in the GSAC Tournament semifinals on March 7.