Ups and downs

Men’s tennis starts the season strong while women remain slow to grab a win.

Kenneth Starr lectures in Sutherland Hall Tuesday. Starr is well-known for spearheading political investigations into the scandal involving former President Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky in the 90s. – Photo by Lindsey Minerva.

Ashleigh Fox, Writer

Senior Tayven Townsend returns a ball during his singles match against Arizona Christian University on Feb. 6. The men’s tennis team beat ACU Firestorm 7-2. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

The men’s team carries the tennis program, starting the season off strong with three wins this past weekend. The women’s team started off slow with two losses but have started to make a comeback after a bold win against Hope International University.

Hastings College Broncos of Nebraska visited Biola’s home courts in an attempt to overpower the Eagles but were unsuccessful as the men came out ready to play. Doubles teammates, seniors Brandon Chang and Tayven Townsend, defeated their Hastings opponents 8-5. Doubles Joe Turnquist and David Garcia also earned a 7-4 win in a tiebreaker. The men finished off the day with successful singles play, defeating the Broncos 7-2.

The next day proved equally as successful for the men when they overpowered Arizona Christian University 7-2 at the Biola tennis courts. Duo Chang and Townsend secured their second doubles season win together, with Townsend bringing the momentum from his 6-4 third set win against singles opponent Santiago Galeffi of ACU. The team ended the evening with an undefeated season and were 1-0 in Golden State Athletic Conference standings.

Head coach Brent Worthington noticed the consistency among the team early on.

“It’s just going to be consistency. On the singles side, that’s our stronger side, so I think it’s going to be able to play at a high level consistently.”

Rain postponed matches for the men on Saturday as they had planned to compete in Pasadena against California Institute of Technology.

Despite this, the men kept the victories coming at home on Tuesday against the Hope International University Royals. Even though the margin was closer, the win was secured before doubles competition commenced. Two forfeits by HIU and three physical wins in singles brought the Eagles to 5-2, where they would stay as the Royals won the remaining two doubles matches.

Worthington remains pleased with his team and looks confidently on the season to come.

“Our strength as a team this year is that we have depth. I think what’s unique about this team is that at one through six anyone is capable of winning a point at their spot.”

The women’s tennis team needed a little warming up before earning a win. Their season began on their home court facing the Arizona Christian University Firestorm, and junior Susan Carmichael was the only player to come out on top for Biola.

Although the Lady Eagles made it to Pasadena before the rain took over, the California Institute of Technology took control of the day’s matches with a 6-2 overall win. Carmichael played but received a no contest due to rain. Biola’s two wins came from sophomore Madeline Heer in singles and again in doubles with partner sophomore Kelsey Post.

Tuesday finally brought a win for the women, where the Eagles overpowered the Royals 8-1. All singles matches were won in two easy sets, with the exception of Post who lost in a hard-fought battle against HIU’s Alyssa Pritchett in three sets. The loss did not stop Post who defeated her doubles opponents alongside teammate Heer, contributing to Biola’s doubles sweep.

Despite the losing record, head coach Dee Henry looks at the big picture.

“I think we’re much improved over the past years. Their skill level is better, their footwork is better. I think we’ve really improved, I think our opponents have all improved as well.”

Coach Henry sees the competition, but remains optimistic about the season ahead.

“Everybody is staying positive and working through things and I think we’re going to have a great season.”

The men and women’s tennis teams will travel to El Cajon to battle San Diego Christian College on Feb. 14.