Extra-inning Heartbreak

Eagles unable to pull out victory in extra-innings despite excellent pitching.

Senior Andrew Smith reaching for a highfive after hitting a 3 run home run. | Aaron Fooks/THE CHIMES

Dale Fredriks, Writer

Biola faced up against an out-of-conference opponent in the Bethesda Flames on Tuesday at Eagles Diamond in what had the makings for a high-run afternoon. Both teams came in with a team ERA of 6.00, but contrary to expectation, this game turned into a pitching battle. The Eagles ultimately fell short, giving up a go-ahead run in the top of the eleventh and were unable to score an equalizer. The final score read 4-3 in Bethesda’s favor, moving their record to 5-9, while the Eagles fall to 4-8.

The story of the game was the pitching, with both starters dominating during their time on the mound. Sophomore Jesse Yancosek started for Biola and Jacinto Garcia represented the Flames. Yancosek lasted 5.0 innings, only allowing one run off of three hits while getting six strikeouts. That one run came in the top of the fourth inning, after a double by Esau Madrigal brought home Dino Mares. Despite the hiccup, Yancosek left the game with a solid performance.

The Flames’ starter did even better. Garcia pitched 7.0 innings, also allowing only one run off of four hits. He hurled a total of 90 pitches, and was finally pulled after allowing the Eagles’ first run in the bottom of the seventh. Biola took advantage of the change of pitching to score another run in the eighth inning, giving them a 2-1 lead.

Sophomore Daniel Rasmussen scored the Eagles’ first run, brought home by an RBI single from junior Andres Rodriguez. Sophomore Andrew Frank scored the go-ahead run in the eighth after being knocked in by a double from senior Paul Slater. The Eagles’ time in the lead proved short-lived, as the Flames scored two in the top of the ninth, forcing a bottom of the ninth. Rodriguez came up big again, getting his second RBI after a fly-out to centerfield brought sophomore Jimmy Gallarda home. They were unable to bring home sophomore Jeremy Barth from third base, forcing the extra innings.

Neither team scored in the first of the extra innings, but the Flames scored the go-ahead run in the form of a sacrifice fly by Daniel Juarez off of junior Julian Jarrard that brought home Madrigal in the top of the eleventh. Unfortunately, Biola could not muster up the offense to equalize in the bottom of the eleventh, stranding the one runner that got on base via walk.

The Eagles go on the road against Westmont for their next series, the first game taking place Friday at 2 p.m.