Basketball tips off at Biola

Men’s and women’s basketball teams anticipate their upcoming season in preparation for their first games.

Junior Mike Kurtz slams down one of two dunks of the night during the game vs. Vanguard last Saturday night. | Tomber Su/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Women’s basketball ended their season last year with an overall record of 12-19. They enter the 2014-2015 season with a new look after six players left Biola and the roster gained seven new faces.

“You can expect a lot of surprises,” said senior captain forward Chelsea Hill. “Especially having a really new squad, I think people are underestimating us. Our coaches did a really good job recruiting and we have a lot of talent coming in," Hill said. "Two transfers and a lot of really talented young guards that are just eager to learn, eager to play and eager to catch up to the seniors and upperclassman on the team.”

One graduate of last year was NAIA all-American second team Adijat Adams, who led the team in scoring, blocks, rebounds and free-throws made last season.

“Since we lost Dij [Adams], our all-American player, it’s not so focused around one player,” said senior captain forward Elizabeth Munger. “We all have talent and we all can contribute. Each person brings something new to the table and new to the floor that will help us.”

The women’s team was voted sixth in the GSAC preseason rankings poll, one spot lower than their fifth place GSAC finish last season.

“It’s kind of a slap in the face to us because we only lost one player,” said Hill. “Adijat was a great player, but we have so many new posts that came in as transfers that are experienced, and so many guards that are just bringing the heat this year and no other team in GSAC has seen them play yet. They’re in for a little surprise.”  

The Eagles kick off their season against Menlo College Oct. 31. Biola lost to Menlo 62-64 last season. Biola’s young team looks to prove that they are bigger than any one individual, and ready to be competitive this year in GSAC.

MEN'S BASKETBALL

The men’s basketball team held a record of 16-15 for the 2013-2014 season and finished with a loss to Westmont College that knocked the Eagles out of the GSAC tournament.  

Biola lost seven players from the 2013-2014 season, including all-American honorable mention Andre Murillo who led Biola in points per game and led GSAC with rebounds per game. The Eagles added two redshirt players and seven freshman or transfer players to this year’s roster.

“Andre was a huge player from last year,” said senior captain forward Mike Kurtz. “Just a presence inside, rebounding, scoring. We could always count on him to score a last minute basket. This year we’re a lot younger, we have two starters that are freshmen. It just takes a while to get used to each other, playing together. I think once those guys get acclimated and used to playing at the college level we’ll be just fine.”  

Biola ranked fifth of nine teams in the GSAC preseason rankings poll. The Eagles ranked fourth in GSAC last season after winning the tiebreaker of a four way conference tie.

“That’s fine,” said senior captain guard Pierre Zook. “I’m definitely fine with being an underdog. That’s where we were about last year and preseason polls honestly don’t mean a whole lot to me. I know Vanguard [University] is going to be really tough and all of the teams are always competitive so we just need to go into it and focus on what we can do and compete everyday.”  

Biola’s first game of the season is at home Oct. 31 against Fresno Pacific University. The last time these two teams played each other was in the 2011-2012 season when Fresno won 60-59.

The Eagles embrace their underdog status this season as they look to return to the GSAC tournament and make up for their first round loss last year.