Women’s soccer falls short against Concordia

Women’s soccer was defeated by Concordia University but hopes to improve their season with a win against Vanguard University.

Freshman midfielder Janae Megorden races against a William Jessup University player at the game on Oct.4. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

Jack Finck, Writer

Freshman midfielder Janae Megorden races against a William Jessup University player at the game on Oct.4. Megorden assisted a goal made by freshman medfielder Ashley Ramirez at the Oct. 14 against Concordia. | Jenny Oetzell/THE CHIMES

The Biola women’s soccer team suffered their second season and first conference loss to Concordia University on Oct. 14. Concordia outscored Biola 3-1 in the first period, and 1-0 in the second to result in a final score of 4-1. Biola now holds a season record of 11-2, and 5-1 in conference.  

The Concordia Eagles took no time getting themselves on the board, scoring only three minutes into the game. Concordia continued to find Biola’s net, pushing the score to 3-0 before Biola finally answered late in the first half with a goal from freshman midfielder Ashley Ramirez.

Ramirez’s scored this goal, her fifth of the season, from a header off of an assist from freshman midfielder Janae Megorden. Biola entered the second half down 3-1.

Senior goalkeeper Briana Williams made three saves in the second half to limit Concordia to one goal. This proved not enough as Biola ended up shutout in second, resulting in a final score of 4-1.

Biola now stands 5-1 in conference and looks to improve upon this record against Vanguard University on Oct. 18. Vanguard ranks No. 12 in NAIA and currently holds a record of 12-1-1. The Eagles previously played the Lions last season, losing 2-0.