Eagles bounce back after two losses

For the first time in GSAC play, Biola men’s soccer takes on William Jessup University in a competitive matchup.

Junior midfielder Joey O’Keefe runs the ball away from a William Jessup University player On Oct. 4. “We came into this game, more than anything, hungry to score goals,” O’Keefe said. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES

Emily Heisinger, Writer

Junior midfielder Joey O'Keefe runs the ball away from a William Jessup University player On Oct. 4. “We came into this game, more than anything, hungry to score goals,” O’Keefe said. | Katie Evensen/THE CHIMES. To see the full photo gallery click here.

Biola men’s soccer took on William Jessup University yesterday, Oct. 4 and crushed them, scoring two goals in each half, finishing with a 4-1 win.

For the first time ever in Golden State Athletic Conference play, the teams faced off in a competitive matchup. The Eagles looked to turn their season around after having lost their last two conference matches.  

“We dropped our last two games, lost both of those, and that’s just something that really we felt shouldn’t have happened,” said junior midfielder Joey O’Keefe.

Less than three minutes into the first half, freshman True Tamplin brought the score to 1-0 with an assist from junior forward Steven Tanquary. This was shortly followed by another goal scored by freshman defender Clayton Mohler.

With a minute left in the first half, Mohler attacked the goal with a corner kick, but missed. The half ended with a score of 2-0.

The second half brought another quick goal for the Eagles, this time scored by Tanquary. After this, the Warriors brought the heat and managed their only goal, scored by junior forward Dylan Valentine.  

During an aggressive game, the Eagles put the ball in the net for the last time through a penalty kick by senior midfielder Sava Pantic.

While the Eagles may have had some trouble starting out, the team is more than likely to find victory if they continue to play the way they did against the Warriors.

“We came into this game, more than anything, hungry to score goals,” said O’Keefe. “Our whole entire team came out here with that mentality which is nice. Usually, [in] the last couple games we came out flat to start the game, this game everyone was very intense, everyone was very focused.”

This win brings the teams overall record to 5-4-1. The Eagles will play The Master’s College on Tuesday, Oct. 7 at Biola.