Men’s soccer kick off GSAC play

Men’s soccer is competitively working hard this season with hopes of winning the Golden State Athletic Conference this year.

Junior forward Stephen Tanquary dribbles away from Antelope Valley players at the game on Sept 9. Tanquary scored the final goal to help the Eagles win 2-0. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

Drew Knight, Writer

Junior forward Stephen Tanquary dribbles away from Antelope Valley players at the game on Sept 9. “We want to win GSAC this year and we want to go to the National Tournament and anything less than that would be a disappointment,” Tanquary said. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

This week the men’s soccer team finished up their non-conference matches and began league play against fellow teams in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Biola entered Saturday’s game after a 6-1 loss against Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

“We just need to refocus and kind of forget that game,” junior forward Stephen Tanquary said. “I don’t want to say that it was a fluke, but it wasn’t a game that defines our preseason.”

Tanquary said he was glad the slip-up had occurred in preseason as opposed to GSAC play where the loss would be more detrimental.

The Eagles tried to finish preseason strong against Cal State San Marcos on Saturday,  Sept. 20.

“It is extremely important, San Marcos beat Concordia just the other day, one of our rivals in GSAC. I think it will do a lot for our confidence,” Tanquary said.

Unfortunately, the Eagles were defeated 1-0 in a game that proved to be a defensive battle. Biola could not get any shots on goal during the entire match, but that did not speak to their efforts during this game.

“We played a good team, and we both had our chances,” freshman midfielder Jarret Pugh said. “Sometimes in soccer that’s how it goes. You both have chances, but one team is able to put away a goal.”

“Conference is a great time to get back to our winning ways,” said Pugh, and that is exactly what the Eagles did.

The Eagles refocused, playing strong coming off two straight losses. The first half proved a close battle ending with a score of 1-1, but Biola dominated the second half, outscoring Arizona Christian 2-0. The game proved a strong start to kick off league play for the Eagles.

Biola views this week as a step in the right direction. The Eagles still have plenty of games to play this year, but they hope to clear their losing out of the way during the preseason.

“We want to win GSAC this year and we want to go to the National Tournament and anything less than that would be a disappointment,” Tanquary said.

Biola continues league play next week against Hope International University this Saturday, Sept. 27.