Men’s soccer start off league play strong

Men’s soccer defeats Arizona Christian University Firestorm 3-1.

| Cherri Yoon/THE CHIMES

Drew Knight, Writer

Junior midfielder John Hanscom steals the ball away from a Bethesda College player on Sept 1. Men's soccer gained another 3-2 victory on Sept 23. against Arizona Christian University Firestorm. | Cherri Yoon/THE CHIMES

The Biola men’s soccer team opened up Golden State Athletic Conference play with a 3-1 victory against the Arizona Christian University Firestorm on Tuesday, Sept. 23.

The Eagles’ first goal came from junior forward Stephen Tanquary in the 14th minute of the game. Tanquary was the leading scorer for Biola during preseason, so it fit that he scored the first goal of GSAC for the Eagles. Senior midfielder Stephen Campos and freshman midfielder True Tamplin were both credited with assists on the play.

The Firestorm answered back with a goal of their own in the 29th minute. The last 16 minutes of the first half remained scoreless and tied 1-1 at halftime.

The second half remained in a scoreless battle for the first 23 minutes until junior midfielder Joey O’Keefe knocked one in during the 68th minute.

Then, with three minutes left in the game, Tamplin scored a goal with an assist from sophomore forward Daniel Martinez to really put the game away and secure a victory for the Eagles in the first conference game of the year.

Junior goalkeeper J.T. Addington had three saves in the game for Biola.

The Eagles improve to 4-2-1 on the year, but more importantly their league record begins with one win and zero losses. Biola continues league play on Saturday, Sept. 27 against Hope International University.