Men’s soccer off to best start in years

Following their best start since 2009, men’s soccer moved to 6-0 after a win against Westminster.

Sophomore Steven Tanquary wins the ball back from a Westminster player. Tanquary has given the Eagles an offensive spark the past few games, scoring three goals in the last three games and adding an assist. | Kalli Thommen/THE CHIMES

Nikki Hadley, Writer

Biola men’s soccer took the win and remains undefeated after their home game Saturday afternoon against Westminster College. The weather may have been a little hot, but that didn’t stop men’s soccer from defeating Westminster 3-0.

“We knew it would be a tough match,” coach Todd Elkins said. “It was a good team to beat, and we worked hard.”

Sophomore midfielder Joey O’Keefe had a remarkable game, scoring two of the three goals, both within the first half. Each of those goals was assisted by junior captain and fellow midfielder Stephen Day.

The first goal happened relatively quickly with 35:55 left on the clock. O’Keefe’s second goal in the first half happened with 21:24 left on the clock.

“When we get a group of guys together that all believe that we can win, then I mean, we do the best we can to make it happen,” O’Keefe said.

The game was full of hard work and sweat as the Eagles constantly pushed forward.

“When we did attack, we attacked quickly,” said Day.

Sophomore goalie JT Addington also had a notable game, making numerous saves and managing to not let a single goal past. There was one brief moment in the second half where a goal was almost scored, but O’Keefe stepped in to help Addington, and together they kept Westminster off the scoreboard.

This 2-0 lead was crucial when both senior captain and forward Daniel Chew and freshman defender Ryan Cooley went down with injuries.

With 12:05 left in the second half and after a quick return back into the game, Chew scored the third and final goal of the game to add up to a total of five goals of the season for him.

Biola was able to remain strong even without junior defender Joao Toscan, who is out with an injury from a game last week.

“He was definitely a huge loss, but luckily we have guys on our bench who were able to step into the role — that really helps,” O’Keefe said.

Biola men’s soccer hopes to continue on with their perfect season and are ready to take on Cal State San Marcos on Thursday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m.