Eagles unfazed by heat

Both men’s and women’s cross country ran impressive races despite fighting off both other competitors and the heat.

Sophomore Brooke Arvidson and junior Carrie Soholt lead the group of Biola women during the California Baptist University Lancer Invitational on September 7. | Courtesy of Jessi Kung

Nikki Hadley, Writer

Despite the scorching 100 degree weather, Biola cross country placed high at the Cal Baptist Lancer Invitational in Riverside, Calif. on Saturday.

Sophomore Brooke Arvidson and junior Carrie Soholt lead the group of Biola women to a first place finish as a team during the California Baptist University Lancer Invitational on September 7. | Courtesy of Jessi Kung

Women take first

Heat and competing for the second straight week in a row didn’t stop the women’s cross country team from having five competitors in the top 10.

“We’ve been managing the stress of the heat and humidity very well … we can’t control the weather … we can however be purposeful in what we do and how we do it,” said coach Jonathan Zimmerman in an e-mail.

On top of taking first place and dominating the top 10, they managed to do so all within 30 seconds of each other.

Leading off the top 10 for the women’s 4k was freshman Lyndee Dawson, with a time of 14:20.7. Following her at 14:23.0 and taking third place was junior Carrie Soholt. Continuing in the top 10 was senior Chelsea Janzen in 6th with a time of 14:31.8. 7th place finisher, sophomore Kellian Hunt, was next with a time of 14:33.3, and in 10th, sophomore Ilima Kung at 14:50.5.

“Every team in the GSAC conference is well-trained and talented and it will be an honor to compete against each of them throughout the remainder of the season,” Soholt said.

Several top finishes for men

The Biola men also placed well on Saturday.

Junior Kevin Horchler placed 6th in the 6k with a time of 19:07.5. Following Horchler was a trio of seniors. Andy Edmondson finished 32nd with a time of 21:07.8. Not far behind Edmondson was Collin Christensen in 33rd with a time of 21:18.4. Finishing off the men’s runners in 29th with a time of 26:38.4 was Mark Diaz.

“Expectations are high, and all members of both the men and women’s teams always do an outstanding job of rising to the challenge of the day,” Zimmerman wrote.

As far as upcoming races go, several men’s team runners will race this coming Saturday at the UC Riverside Invitational. Selected women will race next Saturday the 20th at the San Diego State Aztec Invitational at Balboa Park.