Women’s basketball upsets The Master’s

Eagles upend NAIA No. 10 in overtime behind great game from Rebecca Devere.

John Buchanan

During the Feb 5 game against San Diego Christian College, Senior Becca Devere | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Alexandra Campos, Writer

Senior Rebecca Devere was one assist short of a triple double as the Biola women’s basketball team upset No. 10 The Master’s College in overtime on Saturday. The Eagles snapped their two-game losing streak in this Golden State Athletic Conference match in Santa Clarita, CA and improve their record to 13-14 overall.  The Master’s drop to a 22-3 overall.

The Eagles seemed to have control of the game in the first half and managed an 11-point lead with less than three minutes left in the half. Biola was able to keep the Mustangs at a 22.86 field goal percentage and ended the half leading by five.

Despite a 16-point lead in the second half, the Mustangs rallied and went on a 21-4 run to close out the second half. With 3:08 left, the Mustangs look a 51-49 lead, but Biola junior Adijat Adam’s 3-point play put the Eagles back in the lead. The Master’s Zoe Scott, landed two free throws at the end of the game to tie as both teams prepared for five more minutes of play.

Biola wasted no time to take the lead as they entered overtime. Sophomore Amy Freet scored the first field goal and a series of free throws helped the Eagles win the game by 10. The Mustangs were only able to score one point after regulation.

Devere dropped 13 points while collecting 15 rebounds and dishing out nine assists.

At the end of the night, sophomore Chelsea Hill led the Eagles with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Adams added 17 points while Freet contributed 10.

With five games left in the regular season, the Eagles will return home to face Hope International University on Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.