Golf team suffers loss at Firestone Grill Cal Poly Invitational

The Biola golf team continues their season at the Firestone Grill Cal Poly Invitational and senior Josh Mathis sets a Biola school record for lowest round.

Benjamin Gonzalez, Writer

The Biola golf team battled it out at the Firestone Grill Cal Poly Invitational on Oct. 8 and 9.

The highlight of the tournament was senior Josh Mathis’ first-round performance where he left tied for the lead with a 65. Mathis shot a 76 and 73 in the next two rounds to shoot a 214 overall and tied for seventh. His first round score was a Biola school record, breaking the previous record that he set in the final round of the team’s last tournament.

The men placed 10th with an overall score of 907. Golfers from schools such as Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, California State University Fullerton and University of California, Los Angeles dominated the tournament. Cal Poly won the tournament on the men’s side with a combined score of 847, four strokes ahead of Cal State Fullerton.

UCLA had five golfers competing as individuals and all showed strong performances. Bruins Jonathan Garrick and Jake Knapp finished one-two in the tournament.

The women placed seventh with a combined score of 983, 12 strokes behind sixth place Claremont Mudd Scripps. Freshman Ava Lourenco was in the top 10, placing sixth with a score of 225. Behind Lourenco was junior Jackie Mata, who placed 19th individually with a score of 238. Cal Poly took the tournament on the women’ side with a combined score of 901.

California State University Sacramento golfer Lisa Persson was the top finisher on the women's side — shooting a 218 overall. Persson beat out Clariss Guce of California State University Northridge by one stroke.

Biola’s next tournament is the California State University San Marcos Fall Classic on Oct. 15 and 16.