Spring intramurals on the horizon

As fall intramural sports come to an end, students and staff can begin to prepare for spring intramural sports like basketball and soccer.

Brieana Jordan, Writer

Intramurals meant for competition and community

The fall intramural sports are coming to an end and the spring intramural sports, which include basketball, soccer, softball, sand volleyball and tennis, are quickly approaching. Students will have the opportunity to become more involved with the Biola community and fellowship with one another through friendly competition.

The Associated Students intramural board chair, junior Luke Hamagiwa, hopes the spring sports will draw fresh faces, including freshmen and transfer students, into Biola’s athletic community

“With intramurals it allows for others to support one another during the game and continue to be encouraging,” said senior James Henderson, who will oversee basketball. “On the other side, there are those that miss playing sports in high school or even college and playing intramurals let’s them continue to play the sports they love in a competitive but friendly style.”

Spring sports split into three leagues

Each sport has as many as three leagues which include “A,” “B” and “C.”

“‘A’ league is for players with experience and are skilled in the game, not to take away that ‘A’ league players play for fun, but it’s more of a competitive league,” said Hamagiwa.

While still competitive, “B” league is mixed with players who want to play for fun and be on teams that play well, but aren’t the most skilled in that particular sport, he said. Finally, “C” league is meant for players who have little skill and are looking to have fun and have fellowship with friends and other athletes.

Junior Brittany Pace, who will oversee basketball and tennis, said basketball will be split into men’s and women’s, the men most likely having all three leagues, and women having just an “A” league. Soccer, softball, tennis and sand volleyball will be co-ed. Tennis will include doubles and singles and each sport will vary in which leagues there will be depending on how many participants there are.

“I really like playing team sports because I like working together to reach a goal,” freshman Hannah Efron said. “I just like to play soccer for fun. I played in high school and it was lot of fun, but I didn’t want to play at a competitive level anymore so I think it will just be fun to play again.”

Students and staff come together on the field of play

Intramural sports not only allow for students to play, but faculty and staff as well. Returning alumni who played soccer for Biola have also played, Hamagiwa said.

“I think spring semester is easier for people to play, especially freshmen and transfers, just because they kind of are a little bit more familiar with intramurals,” Hamagiwa said. “It’s tough first semester because they don’t know as many people and they’re not as aware of how intramurals function.”

Pace said that the intramural sports allow for students to come together and share their interests and allow players to bond and make new friends.

“[The goal of intramural sports] is primarily for people to have fun, be able to fellowship with fellow students and alumni and also to just glorify God in their athletic ability,” Hamagiwa said. “What we strive for is bringing an atmosphere that is welcoming for players of all skill levels.”