Women’s basketball triumphs in season opener at Holy Names Tip-Off Classic

The women’s basketball team opened their season well with two wins during the Holy Names Tip-Off Classic.

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Eagles bring home easy wins over non-conference teams

The Biola University women’s basketball team dominated this weekend at the Holy Names Tip-Off Classic in Oakland, Calif. The Eagles started strong in the tournament, opening their season up with a 65-45 win over Menlo College on Friday, Nov. 4, and ended well with a 72-58 victory over the Holy Names University Hawks on Saturday, Nov. 5.

Defense is key in 65-45 win over Menlo College

Biola’s rock-solid defense gave the Eagles control in the first half over the Menlo Oaks. The Oaks were kept from scoring big, and were limited to making three of 24 shots from the field.

Biola’s offense was also a force to be reckoned with as they easily broke past the Oaks defense and connected on 12 of 32 shots within the first 20 minutes of the game. At halftime the Eagles were in the lead at 29-16.

The second half was not an entirely different game, however, as both teams played on a more uniform level. Menlo stepped up their shooting game and was able to score five 3-pointers. However, the Eagles beat the Oaks out in rebounds, 43-21, and were able to overtake Menlo from the inside to win it 65-45.

A standout player in the game was senior guard Lauren Gustafson. Gustafson racked up six assists, 10 rebounds and scored a total of nine points against the Oaks. Senior guard Emily Drews also had a standout performance, scoring nine points for the Eagles.

It was a good night not only for Drews and Gustafson, the top scorers for the game but also for the team. Eleven of the 12 players who saw time on the court all scored at least a point in this game.

Adijat’s 16 points key Biola victory over Holy Names University

After this win the Eagles came back again the next evening to triumph over Holy Names University on their own court. Four of Biola’s players scored double-digit points for the Eagles.

Sophomore center Adijat Adams scored 16 points and pulled in six rebounds, Drews scored 15 points, senior guard Charrise Reece scored 12 points and had five assists and freshman forward Chelsea Hill dropped in 11 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Biola shot at 41 percent overall and at 50 percent from behind the 3-point line.

The Eagles are off to an impressive start and did extremely well in the contest this weekend despite being on the road, playing two consecutive games and being under new leadership.

Head coach Bethany Miller attributes the Eagles’ wins to the team’s focus.

“The team was focused and ready to play their season opening games versus Menlo and Holy Names,” Miller said.

Although the women pulled ahead with the victory in both games, the team made sure to put their best foot forward.

“Both games were really intense and tough, we had to play hard all the way through. We couldn’t let up until the clock reached zero,” Adams said.

The women are back on the court for their home-opener against NAIA No. 5 Lewis-Clark State College in a non-conference game Friday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.