Coffee Lovers club brews new plans for the semester

Coffee is a drink best enjoyed with others.
The Coffee Lovers Club meets in Kim Dining Hall.
Jason Lee

While some begrudgingly drink coffee to survive, others have acquired an appreciation for its taste and intricate brewing process. According to a study by the National Library of Medicine, 92% of college students regularly drink coffee every day. It is no surprise that coffee is a drink that many students depend on to get through tireless nights of studying. At Biola, several coffee enthusiasts have banded together to express their love for this drink in a community.

THE BEGINNING

The Coffee Lovers is a recent addition to Biola’s club list. It was founded in the fall semester of 2023 by sophomore public health major Elliana Overcamp and freshman English major Austin Rohm over their shared love of coffee.

“It’s kind of a joke,” Overcamp explained. “One of my friends said, ‘Wow, you love coffee so much, you should start a club.’”

A COMMUNITY OF COFFEE LOVERS

The Coffee Lovers club’s goal is to provide students with free coffee and a community to talk about it. They host on-campus meetings every other week, consisting of events such as coffee tastings, learning new brewing methods, playing coffee trivia, learning about coffee around the world and more. They also have off-campus events, visiting local coffee shops as a group, and exploring them while supporting businesses. 

“It kind of varies week to week,” Overcamp said. “It’s always involving free coffee though.”

Rohm explained the reason behind the club’s goal. “There’s really a large amount of people on campus who have coffee, for lack of a better word, addictions,” Rohm said. “We want to bring them together to one, have a healthy habit of drinking coffee around people, and two, to bring a bunch of majors together.”

The club also reads the book of Hebrews, a play on words based on the phrase “He brews.” Jokes aside, Rohm explained the thought process behind it. 

“We do want people to get in the word, and it seems like a great way to start is starting with that part of ‘He brews,’” he said. “If all else fails, we want people to just have this love of Christ,” Rohm explained.

FUTURE PLANS

As a new club, The Coffee Lovers are still planning for the semester to come. As of now, they are trying to build consistency by hosting meetings every other week on Fridays, from 12-1 p.m. in the Kim Dining Hall.

If you are interested in the club and want to find out more, check the Coffee Lovers on Instagram @coffee_lovers_of_biola, or contact them through [email protected]