Mlambo elected SGA president, Mbogo elected SMU president

SGA and SMU announce new leadership.

Courtesy of Iziphozonke Mlambo

Blackstone senator Iziphozonke Mlambo wins SGA presidency.

Dalet Valles, News Editor

On Feb. 9, the Student Government Association announced sophomore biological sciences major Iziphozonke Mlambo as the 2023-24 SGA president and sophomore contemporary worship music major Andrew Ambrose as Hope senator. Along with that, the Student Missionary Union announced senior commercial music and communications sciences and disorders double-major Neema Mbogo as the new 2023-24 SMU president. Students cast their votes to elect campus leadership Feb. 6–7.

STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

SGA officially announced Mlambo’s victory on Thursday through an Instagram post caption. Mlambo ran unopposed. 

“Any leader can talk about change, but only a community can create it,” Mlambo said. “Biola University, I believe in all of us. I believe in the student experience. I believe in all student stories. In coming together and voicing our stories, our needs and our wants we can achieve anything.”

Mlambo’s goals as SGA president include student gym improvements, diverse representation and the prioritization of student needs. 

Ambrose, the SGA Hope senator, ran for re-election unopposed and was announced as the continuing leader for Hope via the same Instagram post. 

STUDENT MISSIONARY UNION

SMU officially announced the results of the voting in an Instagram post. Neema Mbogo, senior commercial music and communications sciences and disorders double-major will serve as the SMU president for the 2023–24 school year. 

“Neema will be taking on the position in the Fall, and we are excited for what the Lord has planned for her as she continues to serve in SMU,” read the caption. 

Students will begin their leadership duties in the fall 2023 semester.