Eagles extinguish the Bethesda Flames

Biola throttles Bethesda 97-51.

Redshirt+sophomore+guard+Eleni+Cabrera+looks+to+pass+to+a+teammate.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Redshirt sophomore guard Eleni Cabrera looks to pass to a teammate.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s women’s basketball team faced Bethesda University in a non-conference matchup on Monday night in Chase Gymnasium where spectators witnessed a 97-51 lopsided win for the Eagles. Biola’s offensive outburst set a program record for the highest scoring game since joining the NCAA Division II ranks. 

EAGLES DOMINATE THE OPPOSITION

The Eagles displayed marvelous defensive effort from the opening tipoff. 

Biola’s full court pressure resulted in 15 steals, which translated to 33 points off Bethesda turnovers. The Eagles scored 56 points in the paint thanks to their physicality down low and persistence in attacking the glass. An overall dominant performance for the Eagles resulted in a 46-point lead at one point during Monday’s match against the Flames. 

Biola’s offense benefitted from many contributors in the scoring category, including Eleni Cabrera, Jesse Thurman, Natasa Radovic and Hope Weber. All four Eagles scored double-digit points and provided efficient shooting percentages from the field while Jaci Bolden, Sydney Morgan and Radovic led the defensive front, each recording three steals. 

“It’s always great to see a lot of people getting an opportunity to play and contribute,” said Biola women’s basketball head coach Alan Nakamura. “We’re a very balanced team and we have confidence that whoever gets on the floor is ready to produce for the team.” 

The Eagles’ victory improves their winning streak to four games (7-8); meanwhile, Bethesda continues to search for their first win of the season. 

Biola continues their season on the road against Hawaii Pacific on Jan. 14 at 11 a.m. PST.