SGA Rundown: Veteran priority registration

Senators hear BASA proposal and consider formal and film.

Hannah Larson, News Editor

This week, the Student Government Association heard from a military dependent student and considered a proposal from the Biola African Students Association

VETERAN PRIORITY REGISTRATION

Junior psychology major Adrian Velez, a military dependent whose father served in the Marine Corps for 18 years, asked senators to push for student veterans to get priority registration for classes. Velez explained that student veterans and military dependents need 12 credits to keep their Veterans Affairs benefits, which they use to pay for tuition and books. If the specific classes veterans need to take fill up before they can register, they risk losing their benefits. 

Block senator Rudy Torres explained there are over 150 veterans and military affiliated students at Biola. Torres noted that veteran students attending public universities in California have priority class registration, and Velez said student athletes currently receive priority registration at Biola.

TASTE FOR AFRICA PROPOSAL

The Biola African Student Association requested $1,590 to fund “Taste for Africa,” an event designed to celebrate African and Caribbean culture through food, music and dance. BASA president Natuwa Basalirwa, a senior businesses administration major, and vice president Neema Joy Mbogo, a junior communication sciences and disorders and music double major, explained the funds requested will go toward purchasing samosa, cassava and plantain, among other African foods, as well as costumes for dancers, decorations and balloons. 

Blackstone senator Iziphozonke Mlambo said the event will give Biolans the chance to participate in a celebration of African art, poetry and culture. Basalirwa and Mbogo said “Taste for Africa” will include a fashion show and spoken word performances. They encouraged all Biolans to attend the event on Saturday, April 23 in Mayers Auditorium. 

FORMAL AND FILM

Senators continue to plan for the upcoming spring formal. They discussed decorations, including 10 foot high white curtains and sparkling lights. Senators considered asking the swing dance club to teach students about organized dancing prior to the formal. 

Senators deliberated the Biola Film screening proposal requested by sophomore cinema and media arts major Juliet Lucas last week. Hart senator Tim Wittkopf motioned to pass the proposal in partial, and the Senate approved $500 to fund posters and fliers to market the event.