Cross country keeps pace across the nation

Competing in both Illinois and Claremont, the Eagles place in two cross country events.

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

On Saturday, Oct. 9, the Eagles ran in the Lewis Crossover at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois, as well as in the Pomona-Pitzer Invite in Claremont, California at Pomona College. Splitting the women’s and men’s teams, the Eagles continued to show out at both events across the country.

THE LEWIS CROSSOVER 

The Lewis Crossover featured 11 nationally-ranked women’s cross country teams, in which the Eagles took eighth place with an overall score of 249 points. The Eagles kept pace against their competitors, resulting in a team time of 1:57:40.10 in their first 6K event of the season. Freshman Lynette Ruiz recorded a time of 22:44.50 in the event, taking 16th place in individual scoring. Five women’s cross country runners scored for the team—finishing with times below 24 minutes.

Men’s cross country took eighth place in the Lewis Crossover, achieving a team score of 244 points and recording an overall time score of 2:09:40.20. The top three runners finished within seconds of each other with freshman Ronald Kigen scoring a time of 25:40.90, redshirt sophomore Jerry Baltzer finishing at 25.42.90 and redshirt senior Brady DeHaven at 25:43.30 in the 8K races.

THE POMONA-PITZER INVITE

Competing in the Pomona-Pitzer Invite, Biola placed third overall in the women’s 6K event, with an average time of 28:33. Leading the team was graduate student Jax Heckers, who paced the race with an individual finish in 15th place. Meanwhile, the Eagles took fourth place in the men’s 8K race, with an average time of 26:31. Redshirt sophomore Charlie Bailey led the Eagles, finishing in 25th place for his individual scoring.

Men’s and women’s cross country will head to Fullerton to compete in the Titan Invitational at California State University Fullerton on Friday, Oct. 22. Stats from today’s race are located on Biola Athletics’ website.