Looking at life “off the field”

The Chimes introduces sports blogger James Knoop, who will blog about athlete’s lives “off the field.”

James Knoop, Writer

Greetings Biola. My name is James Knoop, and this blog is a new addition to the sports side of the Chimes.

I am a sophomore here at Biola, and am majoring in English writing and minoring in communications (and of course Bible). I grew up as a pastor’s kid (PK) in the “sticks” of northern Minnesota where I learned the four most important things in life:

1. God
  2. Patriotism
  3. Family
  4. Sports

I can remember in kindergarten, watching the Minnesota Vikings play behind the glass of our six- inch television, (the only one we had). I remember my two older brothers and dad teaching me how to throw a baseball, catch a football, shoot a basketball, and scream my lungs out as a fan. In high school I played baseball and basketball, and ran cross country and track. So you could say I’ve grown up in a sport’s home. That is one reason why I am so excited about this blog.

Unlike most blogs or articles about sports, this blog is going to focus on player’s lives outside of the sport. You all know what I am talking about. The media loves to keep us informed of what players do off the field as well as on. However, unlike most of the media, this blog is going to share uplifting stories from player’s lives outside their sport. After all, as they say, “It’s just a game.” This blog is here to share what player’s lives are like “off the field,” when the cameras aren’t rolling, when they think no one is looking.

My goal for this blog is to bring a face to the jerseys. From now on, your fellow Biolan athletes won’t just be a number on the court that you are cheering on, but people with amazing stories of how God has brought them to this point in their lives. I hope you enjoy the journey with me.