‘Wait Until Dark’ illuminates the stage with suspense and mystery

The Theatre 21 production of “Wait Until Dark” plunged the audience into darkness with a suspenseful story.

Mysterious head conman Harry Roat Jr./Sr., played by senior communication studies major Keegan Lund, briefs Talman and Carlino, played by senior theater major Rory Woodbury. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Tristan Engh, Writer

Deceptive conman Mike Talman, played by junior theater major Brandon Wetmore, hands Susy Hendrix, played by senior theater major Hanna Mitchell, the key to a safe. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Theatre 21 pulls off another fantastic show in their iteration of “Wait Until Dark,” directed by Kate Brandon, assistant professor of theatre. Whether it’s the con-artist story, the ‘50s theme or just the overall suspenseful style of the play, Brandon and her cast deliver a captivating performance.

Captivating tale of con-artistry 

Fresh out of the penitentiary, two con-artists, Mike (Brandon Wetmore) and Carlino (Rory Woodbury) attempt to find their former partner only to be interrupted by a mysterious man named Roat (Keegan Lund) who claims he has a job for them. The job? To con an innocent, blind housewife named Mrs. Hendrix (Hannah Mitchell) into giving them a doll that is supposedly filled with heroin. It seems like an easy job with a big pay-off, and now being linked to the mysterious murder of their former partner, the two must work for Roat in attempt to retrieve the precious doll.

The first act is lit by fluorescent “apartment” light, but by the tail end of the second act, the audience is completely in the dark. The actors are lit only by the occasional match or refrigerator light, contributing to a climactic ending. With one of the senses cut off, the dialogue became especially powerful and it contributed to the mystery and suspense of the whole show. Thus, the audience must “wait until dark” in the second act for the title and the mystery to make brilliant sense.

ACTORS MASTER THEIR CHARACTERS

The set is beautifully done, portraying the realistic style and furnishing of a single bedroom apartment from the ‘50s. The acting is wonderful, typical of what you'd expect from Theatre 21. Frequenters of Theatre 21 would have noticed the actors’ mastery of understanding their characters in the incredible contrast between this play’s roles and the roles they played in “The Diary of Anne Frank” just last semester. For example, Lund played a sinister, slick villain in this production while months ago he was the warm, gentle Mr. Frank. Also notable was Mitchell’s impressive portrayal of a blind woman, which was consistent and completely believable. To prepare for this role, Mitchell visited the Braille Institute in Anaheim and received help in accurately delivering her character, according to director Brandon.

The only awkward moment occurred during the transition to intermission when it was dark for a few seconds before the doors opened and the explanation was given that it was intermission. Since that is the only complaint I have, I cannot imagine why you would not go see this play. “Wait Until Dark” is a thrilling story. Overall, it’s a great way to enjoy some more of what Biola has to offer.