Sleep Week: Biolans create rhythms of rest

The Office of Student Wellness hosts Sleep Week.

Haven Luper-Jasso// THE CHIMES (file)

Sleep Week encourages students to rest and relax.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s Office of Student Wellness is hosting a campus-wide “Sleep Week” event on Feb. 13–16. This event aims to raise awareness of the importance of rest for students on campus.

SCHEDULE

The Office of Student Wellness will host several activities to engage students in the four-day commemoration. On Monday, Feb. 13, packets of oatmeal will be handed out to students by members of the Office of Student Wellness after morning chapel from 10:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. On Tuesday, Feb. 14, students will have access to the “quiet room” located at the Student Services building from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students can also participate in a stretching class on Sycamore Lawn at noon. 

Wednesday, Feb. 15 is themed “pajama day,” in which students are encouraged to wear their sleepwear on campus. Wednesday also features a morning chapel service at 9:30 a.m. and a night chapel service at 9:10 p.m. Metzger Lawn will also host a sleep fair from noon to 3 pm. The sleep fair will allow students to build their own sleep kits and enjoy free food. The conclusion of Sleep Week will occur on Thursday, Feb. 16 with a popcorn movie night featuring Pixar’s “Inside Out” in Andrews Banquet Room. 

“The events will provide tools and resources to help students improve their sleep by learning to create better habits,” Student Wellness Coordinator Melanie Maddox said. 

IMPORTANCE OF REST

The Office of Student Wellness hopes students will recognize their need for rest due to the sleep week event. Instead of tolerating the idea that students can survive on only a few hours of sleep, members of student wellness challenge students to create rhythms of restfulness in their busy schedules. Suggestions for relaxing activities include sleeping for 7-9 hours every night, journaling, and walking in nature. Other recommended activities can be found on Biola’s website.  

The Office of Student Wellness emphasizes student well-being and channels its focus toward proactive and preventative strategies to promote the wellness of students. Sleep Week is also sponsored by the Student Health and Wellness Collaborative, which is a cross-campus group that represents multiple Biola programs that strive to positively impact the well-being of students.