Soccer loses on the road

Broncos defeat the Eagles 1-0.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Men’s soccer came up short in a close contest against Cal Poly Pomona on Saturday night losing 1-0. The match against the Broncos was Biola’s first time facing the fifth-best team in the nation since last year’s postseason. In 2021 the Eagles qualified for the NCAA DII playoffs for the first time in program history, and saw their miracle run end against CPP in the first round of the West Regional. 

EAGLES PLAY POMONA CLOSE

CPP swiftly scored their lone goal in the ninth minute of the match to set the early tone between the two teams. Despite the Broncos’ early offensive efficiency, Biola’s defense was able to respond. Freshman goalie JD Dunn led the Eagles’ defensive efforts by contributing three saves to hold the Broncos scoreless for the remainder of the match. Defender Nathan Kovalcik nearly closed the gap in the 86th minute but was denied by CPP’s goalie. The men’s soccer team will travel to play No. 1 Cal State Los Angeles on Wednesday, Sept. 7th at 7 p.m. 

STANISLAUS STATE SCORES IN SECOND HALF

Stanislaus State’s second-half efforts resulted in a 2-0 loss for BU’s women’s soccer team on Saturday night in Turlock. Freshman Savanna Tavares stood out in her debut at goalie by recording four saves in a valiant performance keeping the contest close as the defense held firm in the first half. After halftime, the match belonged to the Warriors as they scored in the 63rd and 74th minutes to secure the victory. Forward Abby Chavez contributed four shots for the offensive effort in the match. Biola’s women’s soccer team will travel to Chico State University’s Soccer Stadium to play Cal Poly Humboldt on Thursday Sept. 8th at 4:30 p.m.