Biola celebrates 114th birthday

The Student Alumni Association hosts spirit week for students, staff and alumni.

Hannah Larson, News Editor

The Student Alumni Association and Alumni Relations hosted “I Heart Biola” week from Feb. 21-25 to commemorate Biola’s 114th anniversary. Students, staff, faculty and alumni are invited to participate in events throughout the week in celebration of Biola’s birthday

“It’s just our way of showing appreciation to the students and encouraging them to stop by, take a break, and enjoy Biola amidst their busy schedules,” said Alysea Wong,  junior design major and vice president of recruitment at the SAA. “I Heart Biola week is about celebrating the community, faculty and the students because that’s what makes Biola ‘Biola.’”

CELEBRATING STUDENTS AND STAFF

Wong explained that the events unite the Biola community. She said that students painted tote bags, received free succulents and spent time with Huxley, a Great Dane therapy dog. On Wednesday, students showed their appreciation for Biola staff and faculty by writing thank-you cards to specific departments.

“You are in class everyday with your professor and you can always say thank you to them and talk to them,” Wong said. “People like Facilities Management, Event Services, Caf workers一they don’t really get that type of appreciation so we want to be the vehicle for them today.”

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wong explained that Feb. 24 will celebrate Throwback Thursday, when the archive of past issues of Biola magazines and newspapers will be available in the library courtyard alongside a button making station. Wong said SAA will provide cupcakes and balloons for students to celebrate Biola’s 114th birthday on Feb. 25 alongside special giveaway swag. Wong emphasized the Biola community as the key focus of the weeklong celebration. 

“I think it’s important to not necessarily celebrate the birthday, but celebrate the work that’s been put in over the years,” Wong said. “I Heart Biola week isn’t so much about celebrating the buildings of the school, but rather the community.”

STUDENT ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

Wong explained that SAA began preparations months in advance for I Heart Biola week. She said that SAA sponsored the succulent giveaway and SAA members volunteered at the I Heart Biola booths every day. Wong explained that SAA’s goal throughout I Heart Biola week and beyond is to link current students and alumni. SAA seeks to help students succeed while they study at Biola and also give them tools like career workshops and resume building to succeed after graduation, she explained. 

“One of our missions is helping students flourish during their time at Biola and then as alumni after they graduate,” Wong said. “We help people with their LinkedIn profiles and we do mock interviews. We do a lot of internship help and we work with the Career Center. We’re here to build relationships and foster community along the way.”

For students who are interested in learning more about the SAA, Wong said they meet Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. in Talbot East 107. She also encouraged Biolans to follow their Instagram account @biola_saa for more information.