Women’s golf places fourth in Stockton Invite

The Eagles tied with Arkansas-Fort Smith with a score of 624.

Charlotte McKinley, Staff Writer

On Feb. 14-15, women’s golf played in the Stockton Invitational tournament in Stockton, California. Biola tied for fourth place with the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith.

DAY ONE

Biola competed against 18 other teams, 10 of which were nationally ranked or voted.  The Eagles had the fourth-most birdies across the 18 holes and was the sixth-best team on par fours. 

Sophomore Brady Turnquist led the leaderboard with a day one score of 69—five points below second place where freshman Melanie Reyes tied with Metro State University. Junior Sami Penor tied for 15th place with a score of 80. Freshman Lauren Lee scored 82 and tied for 39th place. Sophomore Mary Grace Davidson and freshman Rachel Shaw tied for 56th place with a score of 86.

By the end of the day, Biola was in the top spot with a score of 304.

DAY TWO 

Biola ended the Stockton Invite with an overall team score of 624. California State University San Marcos landed in third place with a total score of 614. Texas A&M International University and West Texas A&M University tied first place with a score of 610. 

Turnquist once again turned in Biola’s best individual score with a final scorecard of 151. Penor tied for 15th place with a score of 155. Reyes scored 157 and Lee scored 161, landing them 26th and 47th respectively. Davidson landed 83rd with 170 points. Finishing the two-day event was Shaw with a score of 172 placing 89th.

Women’s golf will travel to Alameda, California to compete in the Tim Tierney Pioneer Shootout on Feb. 28 and March 1. Stats from the tournament are located on the Biola Athletics website.