SGA Rundown: Senators discuss repairing pool tables and increasing the student fee

Amanda Frese, Managing Editor

This week, the Student Government Association heard student representatives from the Black Student Association and voted on proposals to fund repairs to damaged pool tables in the Student Union Building, as well as increase the student fee. 

BLACK STUDENT ASSOCIATION

Commencing the meeting in celebration of Black History Month, vice president of diversity and inclusion India Long introduced BSA secretary Naomi Welikala who explained the role of BSA on Biola’s campus as a “haven” for students–a safe environment for all students to celebrate Black excellence and culture. Senior biological science major Jireh Gerry and junior business administration Lucas Elliott detailed BSA events occurring on campus during the month of February. Additionally, Gerry called for collaboration with senators to promote BSA events. 

Gerry mentioned that on Feb. 15 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m., BSA will host an event in the Earl and Virginia Green Art Gallery to address the context and themes of the art pieces with artist and contributor Shawn Michael Warren. According to Gerry, BSA meets every other Thursday at 7:00 p.m in Talbot 108. 

REPAIRING POOL TABLES

In the previous senate meeting, Office of Campus Engagement traditions coordinator Emily Propst requested $1,000 to repair the felt damage on the SUB pool tables, as well as repair any unlevel surfaces. During deliberation, Off Campus Community Senator Alec Leyva discussed the importance of upkeep pool tables, since commuter students use the tables to build community in between classes. SGA passed the proposal to approve funding to repair the pool tables, unanimously. 

INCREASING THE STUDENT FEE 

Senators deliberated on increasing the student fee for Biola students, which provides funding for Global Student Programs and Development, Student Enrichment and Intercultural Development, the Student Media Board, SGA, OCE and Student Missionary Union. According to the proposed budget, the Student Media Board, OCE and SMU take up the largest portions of the fund. 

Hart senator Timothy Wittkopf mentioned that during a previous SGA hour, 26 of his constituents voted in favor of increasing the student fee, while 19 students voted against. Additionally, Wittkopf explained that many students expressed a desire to support SEID and GSPD. 

Blackstone senator Michael McKay stated the importance of stewarding money well, as well as the need for more time and information in making a decision to increase the student fee. SGA voted unanimously to table the proposal to increase the student fee until further information is given about how the respective groups plan to use funding.