Biola gears up for Mock Rock

Teams prep for the annual lip-synch and dance battle.

Team+BroPoc+ending+dance+pose+at+the+2019+Mock+Rock+competition.+

File | THE CHIMES

Team BroPoc ending dance pose at the 2019 Mock Rock competition.

Hannah Larson, News Editor

After a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19, Mock Rock will make a triumphant return to Biola on April 8. One of Biola’s most beloved traditions, this electrifying lip-synch battle pulses with high-energy music and upbeat dance routines. In past years, teams of 40 to 80 students spent months brainstorming routines, selecting the right music and rehearsing dance moves. After considerable preparation, the teams gave a 10-minute presentation to the audience complete with sensational costumes and impressive choreography. 

This year, five to six teams of 50 participants each will battle to win the competition. Each team is required to have a group leader who interacts with an assigned Biola staff member and ensures their group follows Mock Rock policies and deadlines. Participation is open to undergraduate and graduate students currently attending Biola, as well as university staff members and employees. 

PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS

Teams are not allowed to perform any songs or dances that include or are associated with profanity, violence, stereotypes or dangerous stunts. While on stage, performers cannot use or throw items that cause damage or make a mess, and lasers are prohibited. 

To sign up to compete at Mock Rock, teams must submit a list of songs they will lip-synch to along with the script and videos used in their presentation. Each group must pay for their own props and costumes, but expenses are limited to $20 per participant and $1000 per team. To reserve rehearsal spaces, teams must fill out a google form listing their preferred practice rooms and times. 

COVID SAFETY REGULATIONS

Mock Rock participants are required to wear masks during any indoor meeting, as well as at outdoor practices where they cannot maintain social distancing. Nadine Sandoval, a graduate assistant at Biola Campus Engagement, said audience members will most likely need to wear facial masks to attend the performance. 

Biola will continue to follow Los Angeles County guidelines regarding large events to keep participants and spectators safe.

AUDITIONS

Teams interested in participating in Mock Rock must prepare one choreographed number with both dance and lip-synch and present it on Jan. 28 in Sutherland Auditorium. Judges will consider the team’s storyline, choreography and creativity. Following tryouts, teams need to submit materials before attending the dress rehearsal on Thursday, April 7.