New COVID restrictions are met by debate and free football tickets

The city council voted in favor of proof of vaccination for entry into Los Angeles social settings.

David Alexander and Julianne Foster

On Oct. 6, the Los Angeles City Council voted in favor of vaccine mandates that require residents to show proof of vaccination before entering restaurants, bars, museums, spas and other social settings. According to the Associated Press, proof of full vaccination will be required starting Nov. 4.

According to the Los Angeles Times, large events such as sports games with over 10,000 attendees will now require patrons aged 12 and up to provide proof of at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours. By Sept. 4, venues will begin to require two doses of the vaccination in order to meet requirements. 

That’s going to be a little more work for us, asking to show it to us,” said Jessica Mateo, an employee at a bar in Los Angeles.

CONSTITUTIONALISM OF THE MANDATES

Across the country, students and employees of the health and education fields are facing vaccine mandates. Government officials have been informing the public that vaccine mandates are necessary for public health. However, there is dissension among those who view the mandate as a violation of 14th Amendment rights

Advocates of the new restrictions, such as junior Bible, theology and ministry major Hayden Clines, assert that the government has power to mandate vaccinations. More cautious members of the Biola community, such as sophomore business major Chanan Van De Brake, insist that the mandate is a governmental overreach.

“I think people should have the right to choose what they do from a medical standpoint, and people aren’t getting the full information on some of the effects the vaccine is having,” Van De Brake said.

However, due to existing medical and religious vaccine exemptions, many courts do not see overwhelming proof that the 14th Amendment is violated. 

NEW INCENTIVES ARISE

Despite the myriad of opinions regarding the county’s new COVID-19 restrictions, businesses are tackling the opportunity to ride the rising wave of vaccinated citizens. Long-standing incentives such as Krispy Kremes COVID-19 Vaccine Offer” are now accompanied by organizations such as University of California, Los Angeles. 

According to KTLA5, middle and high school students in LA County can get free tickets to a UCLA football game if they are at least partially vaccinated.