COVID-19 cases dip in LA County and on campus

Chapels move outdoors to mitigate COVID-19 cases.

Andi Basista, News Editor

As of Sept. 24, 61 students tested positive for the coronavirus on Biola’s campus, down four cases from the previous week. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, coronavirus rates are on a downward trend as hospitalizations and deaths decrease. On Sept. 25, there were 947 individuals hospitalized in Los Angeles County—a decline of 17% from the previous week.

“If we raise our vaccination rate, protect ourselves and others with masking, and use expanded testing to identify people who are infected early so they can isolate and their close contacts can quarantine, we have a chance to avoid another winter surge like we suffered last year,” said L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer.

MITIGATION AT BIOLA

Biola applied mitigation measures in classrooms to reduce the spread of the virus. Some classes are moved to a hybrid format while others remain in person with social distancing guidelines. 

Biola does not require students to be vaccinated, but strongly recommends getting the vaccine to help keep the community safe.

OUTDOOR CHAPELS

According to an email sent by the Office of Chapel Accountability, chapels will be temporarily moved outdoors starting Sept. 27. Chapels will be held at the same allotted times on Lot F across from Fluor Fountain. Students are required to wear a mask during the full duration of the chapel, including while standing in line. 

Certain chapels will provide double sessions to accommodate larger audiences. AfterDark will be held on Wednesday nights at 7:40 p.m. and 9:10 p.m. and Singspiration will be held on Sunday nights at 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.