Biola plans for in-person spring commencement

The commencement ceremony will be held on three separate days to adhere to health and safety protocols.

Bethsabe Camacho, News Editor

On April 1, University Events sent an email to graduating seniors informing them that their Spring 2021 Commencement ceremony will be held in person. After the previous semester’s graduation was held via drive thru, the university has found a way to give their students an in-person experience while adhering to public health guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, state and county guidelines. 

THE CEREMONY

The ceremonies will take place on three separate daysFriday, May 7, Saturday, May 8 and Monday, May 10during different times spread throughout the day. The students will be divided depending on their respective schools.

Graduates are told to arrive no more than an hour prior to their scheduled ceremony. Due to pre-assigned seating arrangements, there is no need to arrive early to reserve a seat. How these seats will be assigned and shared in a future announcement the week prior to commencement. 

Each graduate is only allowed up to five guests to attend the ceremony. 

“Each graduate is guaranteed a family pod for seating themselves and their five guests and we cannot mix other graduate’s guests,” the email read.

For those who are unable to attend, the ceremonies will be livestreamed on YouTube.

COVID-19 PROTOCOLS

Those in attendance will be required to wear a face covering at all times and must remain 6 feet apart from members outside of their immediate group. Graduates and their guests must stay in their pre-assigned seating area.

All pre-registered guests will be receiving a pre-event symptom check email 24 hours prior to commencement and should be completed before arriving on campus.