Biola to host drive-thru commencement ceremony for class of 2020

The university announces a new way graduates will celebrate their accomplishments.

Bethsabe Camacho, Staff Writer

Biola will host a drive-thru commencement ceremony for graduates of both the Spring and Fall 2020 semesters. Due to the coronavirus, the University Events team was tasked with finding a way to host a graduation ceremony while still adhering to health and safety measures issued by the county and state.

The commencement ceremony is optional. Those who choose to participate in the ceremony will be divided into small groups broken down by their school. It will be held from Dec. 10-12 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If graduates opt out of this ceremony, they have the option of participating in the Spring 2021 ceremony.

Dee Jacocks, a first-generation Christian ministries alumnus, feels as if his last semester of college was ripped away. Since he did not have a graduation ceremony in Spring 2020, it feels as if he did not get the proper closure. 

“We hear so much throughout our years about what a great thing we’re going to accomplish—  being the first in our family to graduate—but looking at the date I was supposed to walk across [the stage], made me feel as though it wasn’t that big of an accomplishment,” Jacocks said.

Even though he will miss out on his family and friends cheering him on as he walks across that stage, he believes he did something incredible.

Participating graduates will be able to exit their cars, take a photo at a chosen location on campus, walk across the stage and receive their diploma from President Barry Corey in front of Calvary Chapel. The ceremony will also be live-streamed for those unable to attend.