Biola expands on-campus engagement opportunities as LA County moves to red tier

Most summer courses remain online, but more students will be allowed on campus.

Natalie Willis, News Editor

On March 19, Biola announced in an email newly permitted on-campus activities following a downward trend of COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles county, moving Biola and surrounding areas to the red tier

SLOWLY REOPENING CAMPUS LIFE 

While residential housing will not be expanded for the spring semester, Housing and Residence Life will update students next week on summer housing eligibility.

COVID-19 cases in LA County have dropped to under 10 cases a day per 100,000 residents for two consecutive weeks as vaccine distribution has moved into Phase 1B

Students apart of the first three phases will be allowed a sense of normalcy through the rest of the spring semester as campus activities will now be expanded. According to the email, by March 22 the library will be opened at a 50% capacity or 488 persons with reduced seating. Mandatory health screenings and study rooms will only open to one occupant at a time. The Biola Store has reopened at reduced hours and a 25% capacity.

The Writing Center will also be opened for limited in-person appointments. Vocational skill buildings such as labs and studios will be opened to Phase 1, 2 and 3 students with no defined limit other than assuring physical distancing protocols can be safely upheld. 

Indoor dining at the Caf will now be available, holding approximately 100 people—first come, first served. Prospective students will be allowed on-campus for pre-scheduled tours by April 5.

LA COUNTY MODIFIED REOPENING 

The transition from the purple tier to red tier in LA County will align with the state’s reopening framework and mandatory masking will remain in place. According to LA County’s website, the red tier will permit a wide range of indoor operations to resume in schools, restaurants, movie theaters, gyms, museums and zoos.  

Indoor dining will be modified to open at a 25% capacity or 100 persons with a limit of six people per every 8-foot distanced table. Schools are allowed to reopen for in-person instruction as they continue to be advised by the county’s reopening protocols. Movie theaters are now opened at 25% capacity for those that reserve seats online. Gyms will be allowed indoor operations at a 10% capacity and can offer personal training sessions while museums, zoos and aquariums are open at a 25% capacity.