Slaughter/Wagner elected SGA president and vice president

The senators ran on the slogan “Challenging, Growing, Becoming.”

Maria Weyne and Bethsabe Camacho

Sophomore mathematics major Nevin Slaughter and junior political science major Laurel Wagner were elected Student Government Association president and vice president for the 2021-2022 school year.

SEPARATE CALLS, SAME RESULT

For the first time in Biola’s recent history, candidates waited miles apart for the phone call that would tell them who won for the upcoming school year. Slaughter sat in his room in Murrieta, Calif. while Wagner patiently waited in her La Mirada apartment. 

“It felt weird being excited by myself in my room,” Slaughter said. “But I was.” 

They each received separate phone calls from current SGA president Keren Godwin informing them of their win. 

“I’m really excited to see what the position looks like,” Wagner said. “I’m looking forward to what’s to come with our roles and establishing our administration.”

FUTURE PLANS

Although the duo is not sure what the coming year will look like, they want to establish a strong presence throughout campus. Slaughter explained their desire to expand the pop-up food pantry and meet the needs of all students on campus. Wagner also hopes to keep pushing for financial transparency between SGA and their constituents.

“Once we get in the driver’s seat and drive the roads ourselves we get to know what moves we can and can’t do,” Slaughter said. “That’s what I’m wanting to do that first and hopefully start making the community that we promised to make.”