L.A. county officials give no further updates of reopening dates for higher education campuses

Biola students receive no updates regarding spring semester as President Corey pushes announcement to Dec. 1.

Maria Weyne and Bethsabe Camacho

On Nov. 17, Biola Internal Communication sent out an email informing students that the Los Angeles county board of supervisors would be making a decision regarding Biola’s request to allow higher education campuses to gradually reopen for spring. Biola followed up on Nov. 20 stating that President Barry Corey will instead meet with the directors of L.A. county public health department on Monday, Nov. 23. 

These updates followed Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to update L.A. county’s status to the purple tier, adding more restrictions to businesses, colleges and public spaces. Furthermore, Biola housing sent out an email to current residents on Nov. 19, warning them of stricter social distancing guidelines around campus. 

“The order does not impact any of Biola’s services; however, as a student currently living on Biola’s campus, this order applies to you,” the email read. 

The email also informed students that they are no longer allowed to gather on campus, limiting students from walking together unless following proper social distancing guidelines. Although guidelines are stricter, most Biola students are expected to move off campus the week of Thanksgiving break. 

The order will be up until Dec. 21 and Biola expects to update its students on Dec. 1.