Volleyball takes valiant victory in Hawaii

The Eagles took an explosive win against Hawaii Pacific University last night.

Junior+Vanessa+Garcia+jumps+towards+the+ball+in+order+to+pass+towards+her+teammate.+

Andres Ramirez // THE CHIMES

Junior Vanessa Garcia jumps towards the ball in order to pass towards her teammate.

Andi Basista, Sports Editor

Eagles volleyball bounced back with a big win on Thursday over Hawaii Pacific University, 3-1, after a tough loss against Chaminade University the night before. Biola is now 5-3 in the PacWest conference courtesy of Thursday’s win, (23-25, 25-21, 25-17, 25-22).

The Eagles got their feet used to the water in the first set. It was the only loss of the night for Biola, 23-25. From there on out it was total domination by the Eagles. Freshman setter Marissa Price dug her team out of the second set with consistent aces to pull her Eagles to an 11-4 lead. Biola remained calm when HPU managed to tie the game at 20. However, three straight blocks lead to a 25-21 finish.

EAGLES SOAR TO VICTORY

Set three won thanks to seven kills, most of which came late in the set. The Eagles easily took the third set, 25-17. Set four was full of intensity. Both teams looked strong, but Biola prevailed. A six-point run and two kills led to an 18-14 score. The Eagles fought until the very last serve, winning the final set of the night and taking home the win, 25-22.

The Eagles tied their season-high of 17 blocks against HPU. Eleven of those blocks came from freshman middle blocker Abigail Copeland who also racked up seven kills on only 10 swings, hitting .600. Price found her rhythm, putting up three aces, 20 assists and eight digs against the Sharks. Junior libero Sami Hover found 24 digs while junior setter Vanessa Garcia gave 20 assists to her Eagles. Freshman middle blocker Raegan Tjepkema earned nine kills along with six blocks. Junior middle blocker Bekah Roth recorded 13 kills and six blocks and teammate senior outside hitter Becca Branch tallied 11 kills nine digs, two assists and two aces of her own.

The Eagles (8-8) will remain in Hawaii to take on Hawaii Hilo University Saturday, Oct. 12 at 10 p.m.