Volleyball comes out victorious against Point Loma

The Eagles battled it out to win 3-1 against Point Loma Nazarene University, sweeping them 2-0 this season.

Addison Freiheit // THE CHIMES

Freshman outside hitter, Madison Beebe, make the winning spike against Point Loma Nazarene University on November 20th, 2019.

Vanessa Morales, Freelance Writer

The Biola Eagles welcomed the Point Loma Nazarene University Sea Lions to their home court Wednesday night. It was their first game facing Point Loma since early October where Biola won, 3-1. In this intense PacWest Conference matchup, Biola came out with another 3-1 victory. 

The game started with a bang where Biola quickly came out to build a significant lead in the first set. It was evident in the number of kills, assists and blocks that the Eagles had led the game. Biola had 10 kills, eight assists and three blocks that had created the difference in their 25-10 win. 

The Eagles struggled in the second set to stay in the game. However, they still put up the numbers to stay ahead of the Sea Lions and even advanced in their hitting percentage with a .235. Junior middle-blocker Bekah Roth had 10 kills in the second set and 16 in total. Biola could not pull through in this set, losing 23-25. 

Biola came back with a 25-11 win in the third set. The Eagles put up a .248 hitting percentage, outshining the Sea Lions. BU had a significant lead in their numbers as freshman middle blocker Abigail Copeland led with a .600 hitting percentage. 

Biola led in hitting percentage and in kills during the fourth and final set of the game. They did not waiver and led with a .234 hitting percentage and ended the night with 56 total kills. Senior outside hitter Sabrina Winslow tied the lead with Roth, they each had 16 kills overall in the game. They fought it out to win this set 25-23, ultimately won the game 3-1.

EAGLES SOAR INTO SEASONS END

It was their second game against Point Loma, having won against them both times. Biola had the upper hand in toughing it out for the season sweep after a tough loss Saturday morning against Chaminade University. 

“We knew it was going to be tough, so we came out ready to battle them,” Winslow said. 

The Eagles came out dominate as they nearly doubled the number of kills in the game, with 56 and had an outstanding .248 hitting percentage. Biola is two rankings behind Point Loma in the division, but this had not allowed them to be defeated. 

“Just battling,” said head coach Aaron Seltzer, “we defended really well tonight.” 

The Eagles (overall 14-13 and 11-8 PacWest) will face Dominican University of California at Chase Gymnasium on Friday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m.