Dear Professor Simon: “A powerful inspiration”

Adam Pigott, Staff Writer

My early life was not easy. Going into my preteen and teen years, I was bitter, angry and I questioned why God would allow terrible things to happen to me. Your response to my snapshot paper is how I knew that you would have such a profound impact on my life.

Healing and regaining hope is a process that takes time, and your response encouraged me tremendously about everything that is to come.

“Your OCD … our disorders and frailties seem to plague us in our youth … but I can encourage you Adam … everything that has been hard in your life is not without enormous benefit,” Simon said. “Even more than you can see currently at this juncture.”

You told me that faith is seeing beyond our past circumstances and looking at the joy that lies beyond. You finished by citing Hebrews 12, and by telling me that the joy that God is setting up for us is worth so much more than the crosses that we carry. These are words that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Words cannot express how much Professor Simon meant to me. His positivity and his solidified position in his relationship with the Lord inspires me. His ability to hear about the lives of his students, pour out his heart and pray for them is something that very few people can do for long periods of time. In my eyes, his strong relationship with God is what equipped him to do that. As I continue my growing relationship with the Lord, I will strive to reach the level of faith that he had.

I love you, miss you and will never forget you, Professor Simon. While I am sad that you are no longer with us, I find comfort knowing that I will see you again someday.

– Adam Pigott, Arts & Entertainment Staff Writer

Adam Pigott, Staff Writer

Adam Pigott is a sophomore broadcast journalism major at Biola University. When he is not working, he is usually hiking and exploring various locations throughout Orange County and LA.

I am from Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. If you were to ask me what I do when I’m there, the answer would probably surprise you. I do participate in some of the stereotypical activities such as snorkeling and swimming at the beach, but I mostly enjoy hiking and exploring the different areas of my island....