Dear Professor Simon: “Swords and Words”

Pierce Singgih, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Fall 2018 was a difficult time for me. Not only was I discouraged as a journalist, but also as a Christ-follower. There were times when I was done with everything—journalism, God, life. But every time I saw you, Simon, you encouraged me. Every time we passed by each other, you exhorted me to no end, continually praising my hard work and reminding me that we work hard in order to glorify our Lord. You didn’t know how hard last semester was for me, but you always said the right things.

I’m eternally grateful for your guidance, encouragement and teaching. I’m still in awe that you gifted me a painting with a double-sided, handwritten note on the back. Thank you so much for the gift. Thank you so much for the kind words. Thank you so much for being the ultimate example of a man, teacher, and Christ-follower. I’ll cherish these words for the rest of my life, using them as my encouragement to continue working hard for our King:

“Use the sword, the pen, and the spiritual wisdom with insight and guidance for the good Lord’s kingdom. He is with you in a wonderful way.”

– Pierce Singgih, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Pierce Singgih is a senior journalism major who loves all things movies, especially Star Wars, Noah Baumbach films and The Muppets.

[email protected]iola.edu

1 Comment

1