Dear Professor Simon: “Swords and Words”

Fall 2018 was a difficult time for me. Not only was I discouraged as a journalist, but also as a Christ-follower. There were times when I was done with everything—journalism, God, life. But every time I saw you, Simon, you encouraged me. Every time we passed by each other, you exhorted me to no end, continually praising my hard work and reminding me that we work hard in order to glorify our Lord. You didn’t know how hard last semester was for me, but you always said the right things.

I’m eternally grateful for your guidance, encouragement and teaching. I’m still in awe that you gifted me a painting with a double-sided, handwritten note on the back. Thank you so much for the gift. Thank you so much for the kind words. Thank you so much for being the ultimate example of a man, teacher, and Christ-follower. I’ll cherish these words for the rest of my life, using them as my encouragement to continue working hard for our King:

“Use the sword, the pen, and the spiritual wisdom with insight and guidance for the good Lord’s kingdom. He is with you in a wonderful way.”

– Pierce Singgih, Arts & Entertainment Editor

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Pierce Singgih
Pierce Singgih, Editor-in-Chief (Fall 2019)
Pierce Singgih is a senior journalism major who keeps postponing graduation. When he’s not writing or editing, he can be found watching a Noah Baumbach film or drinking coffee. [email protected] I transferred to Biola as a biology major in 2017. You read that right. I wanted to be a doctor. After a semester here, and a few semesters of biology at community college, I realized I had zero desire to pursue a career in medicine. With no direction and little experience writing, I took a leap of faith into journalism. Now, after two years in the program, a few internships and my time with the Chimes, I’ve fallen in love with storytelling.  At its core, journalism is the voice of the community. Journalists provide a voice to the voiceless, standing up for those can’t stand up for themselves. I love representing a community and its people, bringing their voice to life in order to make real change.  Last summer, I interned for the Los Angeles Daily News where I did just that. I submerged myself in the San Fernando Valley –– a Los Angeles community –– covering breaking news, crime, elections and homelessness, among other issues. I also contribute to Film School Rejects, an online entertainment publication where I’ve covered the Los Angeles Film Festival and have certified film reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.  Now, I’m excited to follow in the footsteps of Editors-in-Chief before me and lead the Chimes into a new era of journalistic excellence.