Women’s soccer takes third conference loss

Eagles lose 3-1 to PacWest champion Point Loma.

Joel Ashor, Sports Editor

Women’s soccer traveled south to San Diego, California on Monday to take on Point Loma Nazarene University in a PacWest matchup. The Sea Lions clinched the conference title thanks to the Eagles’ tie last Saturday against Azusa Pacific University, and they continued their winning ways with a 3-1 victory over Biola.

Freshman Viviana Poli got the start as goalkeeper, and PLNU made her work early as she recorded three saves in the first 20 minutes of the game. The offense mustered only one shot on goal from junior forward Sarah Jeffries, and the Sea Lions’ keeper picked up a save to keep the Eagles at bay.

The Point Loma offense broke through late in the first half when the Sea Lions’ Taylor Simpkins put a ball into the left corner of the goal in the 43rd minute to take a 1-0 lead into the half.

Much like the first half, the Eagles offense struggled to find momentum, and PLNU continued to fire several shots on goal. Poli saved three more shots from the Sea Lions, but a header in the 73rd minute got past her to pull PLNU ahead 2-0.

The offense made a frantic push to try and generate some life, and Jeffries gave the Eagles a chance with a goal in the 79th minute on a free kick from 20 yards out to make it 2-1. However, a third goal from PLNU in the 84th minute put the game out of reach as Biola failed to take another shot after their only score of the match, losing 3-1.

Jeffries was a bright spot for the Eagles’ offense despite the low overall production, taking three shots and recording her team-leading sixth goal of the season.

The loss drops the Eagles to 4-3-2 in conference and 6-6-4 overall. They return home for a matchup against Holy Names University on Thursday at 7 p.m.