Check out these Broadway shows at local theaters

Local theaters are hosting some premiere Broadway shows this season. Get your tickets now.

Preet Christian, Freelance Writer

Both large-scale and community theaters have recently announced their musical seasons. If you are a musical theatre fanatic, you have to be excited about these upcoming shows. While major theaters like the Hollywood Pantages and the Segerstrom Center for the Arts have a variety of Broadway musicals coming to their venues, there are also prominent shows playing at local, smaller theaters. Many faculty and students around campus do not know where to start and these places can be the starting point to your journey into the life as a musical theatre fanatic.

2018-2019 BROADWAY SEASON AT HOLLYWOOD PANTAGES

On the streets of Hollywood Boulevard, a beautiful theater shines along the iconic street. The Hollywood Pantages Theater started off as a theater company back in the early 1900s and now it is the home of most touring Broadway shows. The recently announced season has caught the eyes of many people. The Hollywood Pantages will present “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical,” “A Bronx Tale,” “Wicked,” “Hello Dolly,” “Kinky Boots,” “Cats,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Les Miserables,” “The Phantom of the Opera,” “Rent” and “Miss Saigon.” I am particularly excited to see “Wicked,” which explores the time before Dorothy arrives in the Land of Oz, examining the untold story of the two witches. Each of these Broadway shows possess powerful messages to offer to all ages and audiences. For those looking to drive down to LA for a date night or have a fun time with friends, the Hollywood Pantages is the theatre for you.

2018-2019 BROADWAY SEASON AT SEGERSTROM CENTER FOR THE ARTS

Right in our backyard is the Segerstrom Center for the Arts, located in Costa Mesa, Calif. Only a 30-minute drive from Biola is a stunning theater with a fantastic season planned. The Segerstrom Center for the Arts will show “Beautiful: The Carole King Musical,” “Waitress,” “Dear Evan Hansen,” “Hello, Dolly,” “Come from Away,” “Aladdin,” “Cats,” “Fiddler on the Roof,” “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and “The Phantom of the Opera.” Many of these shows will migrate from the Hollywood Pantages to the Segerstrom Center. If driving to Hollywood is too much of a hassle, then head down to Costa Mesa. Zachary Bortot, professor of theatre, explains that many students from Biola intern at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts and enjoy it so much because theatre comes alive at this beautiful venue. Furthermore, these shows are included in a season package to appeal to people who want to watch shows more consistently. Prices vary from $145-$250 according to the SCFTA website.

LOCAL THEATRES IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY

If you are not looking for an expensive theatre to attend, there are many inexpensive options that still provide a quality show. Just down the street on La Mirada Boulevard, we have the La Mirada Theatre for Performing Arts which produces outstanding productions. Their upcoming season includes “1776 The Musical,” ‘Singing in the Rain,” and the Tony Award-winning “Beauty and the Beast.” If you value Christian artists, then the Actors Co-op is the right for you because the founders’ mission is “pursuing the highest standards of theatrical excellence and to building up our members spiritually, personally and professionally in order to be an outreach of Christ’s hope.”