Summer music roundup

Check out these hand-picked songs that made an impression this past summer.

Summer music roundup

Thecla Li / THE CHIMES

Thecla Li / THE CHIMES

Thecla Li / THE CHIMES

Thecla Li / THE CHIMES

Kayla Santos, Staff Writer

Summertime is always different for everyone. Some see summer as a time to finally lounge after a busy and stressful school year, while others use this time to advance in internships and classes. As students return to school, one question that will be asked is: what were you listening to while you were hanging out with friends and family or driving to that new, exciting internship? This summer included an abundance of releases from various artists. Take a look at some summer favorites.

1. “Fallin’ All in You” – Shawn Mendes

Shawn Mendes released his self-titled album this past May. The 20-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter’s third album, which includes 16 tracks, displays his easy-going, catchy acoustic style listeners cannot get enough of. “Fallin’ All in You,” co-written by Ed Sheeran, is a personal favorite. In this track, Mendes showcases a catchy falsetto chorus you cannot help but sing along to.

1. “Thru These Tears” – LANY

As LANY fans patiently wait for the band’s  much-anticipated second album, they can relish these  summer releases in the meantime. In a July interview with Harper’s Bazzar, frontman Paul Klein admitted that a devastating breakup influenced the band’s most recent tracks. Released in June, “Thru These Tears” unveils his heartbreak with an upbeat and synthy tune that sets listeners up for a beautiful piano melody in the song’s final bridge and chorus.

1. “Lifeboat (Freestyle)” – Jorja Smith

21-year-old English singer Jorja Smith released her first studio album “Lost & Found” in June. Her 12 tracks manifest her Alicia Keys-esque soulful style. In her song “Lifeboat,” Smith expresses herself through both singing and freestyle rap.

1. “Fool of Myself” – The Band CAMINO

The Band CAMINO, an alternative-indie band from Tennessee, released their single “Fool of Myself” in May. Throughout this song, you will hear their brilliant utilization of synth coupled with captivating lyrics. Give it a listen, and good luck not getting their synth solo stuck in your head.

1. “Fire” – Oh Brother

This duo of brothers from Germany provides a unique blend of electronic beats, acoustic folk and vocal harmonization. For those unfamiliar, Oh Brother’s sound is comparative to Bon Iver and The 1975. Their single “Fire,” which was released in August, leans more towards their synthy, electronic side as they incorporate harmonies with hints of autotune.

Kayla Santos, Deputy Arts and Entertainment Editor

Kayla Santos is a junior journalism major who loves gooey chocolate chip cookies, traveling to new places, and playing with her dog named Karl.

3 Comments

3